Garden Bird Drama

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Nice..

Have never seen one of those in the garden, but have returned home to find a mess of feathers from one that had seen off a pigeon.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The likelyhood is female Sparrowhawk but the photo does make it look big even without perspective.
Less likely to be a Goshawk as has been said but strange things happen in bird watching.
Some years ago we saw an Alpine Chough near Holyhead. Many of the experts said it wasn't possible. Then 3 weeks later someone got a photo of it.
Similarly, years ago we had a Parakeet land on our bird feeder and I got good photos of it......the first recorded sighting in the North West.
Nice spot though @doughnut

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We had a hawk trying to take birds from our bird table. The hawk had a regular run in and so I hung a piece of reonet in the apple tree. the usual birds could get through but it deterred the hawk

Oldfentiger

Veteran
The likelyhood is female Sparrowhawk but the photo does make it look big even without perspective.
Less likely to be a Goshawk as has been said but strange things happen in bird watching.
Some years ago we saw an Alpine Chough near Holyhead. Many of the experts said it wasn't possible. Then 3 weeks later someone got a photo of it.
Similarly, years ago we had a Parakeet land on our bird feeder and I got good photos of it......the first recorded sighting in the North West.
Nice spot though @doughnut
Agree with all that.
January 2010 we had a pair of Ortolan Buntings in our garden, on the feeders.
Shouldn’t have been here as they normally reside in southern France.
Stayed around 3 weeks then disappeared.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
See what you did there ^_^
I’m magic with words, just like Merlin....

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I get a sparrowhawk comes through once in a while, she usually takes (unsurprisingly) an unlucky / slow sparrow from the bird feeder.
My pigeons are all big fat wood pigeons and I'd be surprised if the sparrowhawk takes those, I've not seen it happen yet in 7 years.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I remember being in Saffron Walden on a busy Saturday afternoon when a Hawk of some description brought a pigeon to ground. It looked at the bemused shoppers got spooked and flew off letting the it's prey go.

Top Bottom