Garden Office?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
As many others probably also are, we've been toying with the idea of a garden office.

The pre fab ones are too expensive.

Has anyone either:

- Converted a small cube like shipping container into an office?

Or

- Converted a conventional shed into an office?

Obviously will need waterproofing, insulating etc.

Would be interesting to know potential build costs etc. or if its a bit of a waste of time?

OldShep

Über Member
Pre fab ones are ridiculous money for what they are If you’re owt like being handy building your own is far better value. It’s just a glorified shed with insulation that you need.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have been doing research too as it seems unlikely that my real office will ever reopen. From the extensive research I have done, if you don't pay for it through great insulation when you build it, then you pay for it in summer and winter when it is too hot and too cold. Personally, I have been looking at self build, with a huge amount of insulation, but only a small space enough for me and my equipment. I am looking at about £10k all in, including a decent poured base.

Salar

A fish out of water
Had this one built a few years ago, including base, insulation, proper double glazing, electrics, decorating and carpet etc. came in at approx £8k

oldwheels

Legendary Member
At one time you used to be able to get box containers from small scrap lorries, about the size BT used to use. They made good sheds if you could get them into your garden. I think the ex BT ones had some insulation as a friend of mine had one based on a Transit chassis which he used as personal transport and occasional overnight stops. The roof was just bare fibreglass I think so my observation re insulation is probably not correct.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Wow, that looks nice - don't think we'll stretch to 10k though. We're on the early stages of a ground floor extension that will occupy most of our budget.

Wife thinks we'd be able to insulate something like this:

https://www.diy.com/departments/shire-hartley-7x7-apex-tongue-groove-wooden-cabin/241572_BQ.prd

Thoughts?
Yup easy.....get some 35x25mm battons, 25mm thick insulation, plasterboard over the top, small electric heater and job done for the inside....on the roof, again baton around the outside edge of the roof with the same size batton, fill the area with 25mm insulation, 28mm osb board over the top and then felt...

couple of hundred quid and some sweat equity and your golden. Saved you around 8k there.

and before anyone says it can’t be done, I can tell you for sure it can. I got tv, wood, flooring, internet and computer in mine and storage for my E bikes.......now way I would by 10k for one

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
I've gone off the shed idea because I'm worried about the exterior degrading, which makes me nervous about spending money internally.

I'm thinking of using pre cut panels with a foam insulation sandwiched inbetween. Think I could possibly get away with about £3k all in.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've gone off the shed idea because I'm worried about the exterior degrading, which makes me nervous about spending money internally.

I'm thinking of using pre cut panels with a foam insulation sandwiched inbetween. Think I could possibly get away with about £3k all in.
exterior degrading????

as long as you keep up the maintenance and using proper paints, stains etc etc, its not an issue......mines been up 5yrs now and still looks like new on the outside........

but its your money - my 3.5mtr x 2.5mtr man cave cost me £1k and i fully insulated it for less than £200. it sits on a decking base, ewhich again was only £250

so less than £1.5k for a fully insulated cave that will last years and years

How long a shed lasts also depends on how exposed it is to the elements. I had a new shed installed four years ago. I've been diligent about painting it with the best preservative but the force of the gales that come off the sea strips the preservative off. Horizontal rain also drives in.
I suppose you could start with a basic shed then put an outer weatherproof covering on the outside with insulation in between. It probably wouldn't look pretty though.

united4ever

Über Member
Bumping this one. Thoughts on twin skin garden office? I thought it would be better for insulation but read a few people talking about the two skins expanding and contracting at different rates (due to outer skin being more exposed to hot/cold temperatures) and then thus causing gaps emerging. Any thoughts/experiences with this? Is twin skin better than single?

newts

Veteran
If building from scratch you have 3 or 4 x 2 studwork infilled with insulation. Breathable membrane on the outside, then battened off to privide 25mm air gap, finished with cladding of choice. Inside face of studwork would be a vapour barrier under wall finish plasterboard/cladding. SIPs panels (structural insulated panels) are also popular to form the framework & finished internally/externally as studwork/insulation previuosly mentioned. Converting a standard garden shed would likely have condensation issues in winter.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I bought a prefab twin skinned double glazed unit and it was installed last October. So I've had a whole winter to get used to it. No issues at all and I've been able to work all day in freezing temperatures with a 1000W heater. Having said that I think the insulation is about 80mm so it should be good. 3m x 2.8m, cost (installed with foundations dug by them and electrics) was about £9k

A bit more than yours. But all I did was paid and they turned up, did the foundations and the installation. I just made them a cup of tea

Last edited:

united4ever

Über Member
Good to hear. There are always scare stories on the internet if you go looking.

That looks smart and pretty similar to what I will get. Actually I am getting a lot of extras like the concrete base, insulation and installation so it will be £9200. Then I need an electrician. Any idea how much roughly I should expect to pay for electrics?

Going to need lighting, a few plug sockets, the internet (probably with a wire buried for the 20m to my house). Was thinking of just getting a plug in oil heater to be honest. Is £800 doable for that. That would put my total at 10k.

Top Bottom