Garden pond

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Has anybody got one and how did you go about building it????

Thanks
I have just got rid of ours.
IMO....too much mither for too little pleasure.
Basically.
Dug a hole 3 mtr x 2mtr x 0.5mtr deep. At one end it was 1 mtr deep so the fish has somewhere to go in winter.
Lined it with approprate liner**.
Built a waterfall at one end.
Filled it.
Laid electric on to run a pump and a filter.
**left overlap to flag around the edges.
Then sit back and wait for......
Algi to take over
Pump/filter to pack in
Herons to eat your fish
NB NB
That was my experience. Others seem to love them.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Is it for decoration, food or wildlife?
Wildlife ponds can benefit from having one marshy or boggy end with no defined edge so it is easier for wee beasties to enter and exit.

My wildlife pond, it's got lots of newt's frogs and all the usual suspects.

Birds love it too..

Mike_P

Guru
Re electrics, low voltage pumps exist, my father has had "one" for over 40 years. Think it has been replaced once and copes well with c3ft high waterfall. It is removed every winter and cleaned.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We put one in a couple of years back. Couple of thoughts: assuming you plan to get fish. you'll probably need a pump and filter. Before you start work out where the pipes and filter box are going to go - and (something I missed) whether you can arrange a soakaway strategical placed so you can undo the big plug under the filter. box so the sludge drains away. Remember the pond itself needs an overflow and soakaway too (I did remember this luckily, as my garden guy had forgotten). If you have different levels in the pond I suggest the depths are flat rather than continuous - this means your plants won't fall over. Another hint is to get the nylon bag plant "pots" rather than plastic pots as they are mire stable. Electrics for the pond are I understand "notifyable" (if that's the word) so you are not supposed to diy and are meant to get a sparky. Ideally get 3 or 4 sockets; pump, UV lamp (part of filter) plus provision for separate fountain and lights . I went for koi carp and luckily only got small ones initially (less than a fiver each I think). A year on they are 10"+ so it wasn't worth paying £50 or £100 for big ones. You want the plants, pump and filter all working for a while before you risk getting fish. Another minor hint is that the pipe for pump isn't very bendy so get some plastic 90 degree bends rather than try and bend the pipe itself. Also our filter has 75mm return pipe - but the ones from "pondkeeper" were some quite sophisticated push fit ones from Germany and very pricey. After a lot of searching on the internet I did find cheap pvc drainpipe in 75mm but you can't get it in wickes. Another thought - we don't have a heron problem here (so far) but it's something to be seriously concerned about. Apparently seagulls (we have lots) drive them off - dunno if that's true

Our pond is under a tree - not recommended as it fills with leaves which MUST be fished out daily in the autumn else the water goes manky. You do need to do something on the pond nearly every day - nothing onerous but keep on top of it. Fish need feeding ideally a couple of times a day (but not at all in the winter) slime needs pulling out and the filter needs cleaning out weekly (or more in summer) . I don't mind doing this.

I've got on well buying stuff from pondkeeper.co.uk and found them very helpful on the phone explaining stuff (eg filters). They were recommended by my garden guy initially, and I've got all the kit side of things from them - plants and fish locally.

By way of history, in a previous place there was a pond there when we bought it and my first though was "stinky old thing, we'll fill that in" but I really got to like it. It was goldfish and frogs there rather than koi.

I'll add more pics and thoughts later.

I love my pond and will almost certainly have another at our next place

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
I bought a pre-fabricated one from Ebay, I couldn't be bothered to achieve all the levels and steps myself. I let the law grow over the sides and sow wild flowers around each spring. Tbh have no idea about how to maintain it, my mother gave me some sort of filtration plant that multiplys rapidily and that I keep having to junk, it's pretty wild but is healthy enough, plants and a load of "things" live in it. I like to lay on a sun lounger, beer in hand and watch birds and dragon flies visit it. :okay:

midlife

Guru
My pond sort of takes care of itself. Cut back the edges and it grows back in spring, full of pond lilies at the moment. No filtration / pump but I throw in a pond bomb in the spring. No fish just whatever finds its way there. I guess it's about 10 feet across.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Some pictures of our set up. The main thing I regret is not having a better thought out arrangement for the filter box

Attachments

• 443292DD-0061-4F94-92C3-621A854D72A3.jpeg
    443292DD-0061-4F94-92C3-621A854D72A3.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 5
  • F13D2BC0-340C-4AEC-8234-E226669545F7.jpeg
    F13D2BC0-340C-4AEC-8234-E226669545F7.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 4949844B-34D5-4C84-9CF4-D7BE1456DBFC.jpeg
    4949844B-34D5-4C84-9CF4-D7BE1456DBFC.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 7

JhnBssll

Veteran
I built ours about 8 years ago. It's got a variety of Koi, goldfish and a few tench in currently.

I dug down a short distance to try and maintain water temperature over winter.

Concrete base built up to ground level with blockwork then a course of brick

Oak sleepers to bring it up to final height, then backfill with some sand and felt to get rid of the sharp edges then decent liner.

I've made a trapdoor in the decking in front of the garage door (open in this pic) where the pressurised filter is buried for easy access. Also a fountain pump and two air pumps to keep the fishies happy.

It's matured a lot in the 8 years since these photos were taken and currently needs a damn good cleanout as the water is murky but the fish quite like it like that :laugh:

icowden

Veteran
Without anything electrical you are going to need to make a natural or wildlife pond. Planting will be the key - you need to have plants that will clean the water so that you don't end up with a stagnant hole. Also no fish. For fish you need filtration and oxygenation really. Fountains, waterfalls etc are pretty much electrical unless you want to constantly run a hose and have run off.

As others have said - a good quality pond liner is really important. I have two ponds installed by the previous owners about 20 years ago. I have constant problems with leaks as the liners are disintegrating, particularly along the stream that joins the two ponds. My bottom pond has a filter pump and a waterfall pump. The top pond is fed by the waterfall and kept clean and fresh that way
IMG_20200720_100342.jpg

IMG_20200720_100636.jpg

IMG_20200720_100352.jpg

Top Bottom