Garden Produce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My little back garden veggie patch has gone into overdrive. The courgettes are creeping over the lawn and Im getting one or two every day. The beans are giving me a handfull daily. Peas should be ready if I can find them under the courgettes. Even my tomato in the S facing front garden looks good.
Aug/Sept is always peak veggie time for me. Are cycling and gardening at all compatible? Id hate to go away for a few weeks at this time of year.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sounds like you have a weed problem to me!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
If you have grass that adds to the problems. We have had a good summer where I am for growing and yesterday put 15 packs of broad beans in the freezer. Tomorrow looks to be the best day for cycling this week but I have grass to cut if is dry. May manage out for an hour but by the time the grass is cut I am knackered. Cycling and gardening is not in my case compatible.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Cycling and gardening is not in my case compatible.

It was for me for many a year but anno domini has crept up on me. So I can't do much gardening at all after a bike ride. One day on one day off shift work sort of thing works. Trouble is cycling and gardening both need pleasant weather. If it's wet it knackers the system.....

sleuthey

Legendary Member
2 summers ago I put some fresh horse manuer on mine. Problem was the horses had been eating some grass with seedy tips. 3 months later my patch was 15 inches high with meadow hay.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My little back garden veggie patch has gone into overdrive. The courgettes are creeping over the lawn and Im getting one or two every day. The beans are giving me a handfull daily. Peas should be ready if I can find them under the courgettes. Even my tomato in the S facing front garden looks good.
Aug/Sept is always peak veggie time for me. Are cycling and gardening at all compatible? Id hate to go away for a few weeks at this time of year.

I would say they are very compatible but have to add I've found it much easier to fit both in since I retired.

What I like about both is I'm outside and active. It doesn't take long for me to get restless if I can't be outside. I have a large allotment and grow around 50% of our veg.

The holiday thing was an issue before retirement as various work factors meant holidays were usually in August, the start of peak harvesting. Again since retirement this is far less of a problem.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Are cycling and gardening at all compatible?
One can cycle in the rain no problem, but gardening in the rain is impossible.
Congrats on you veggies, mine are not nearly doing so well :sad:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Sorry Pat “5mph” but it is the other way round. I do not voluntarily cycle in the rain as I keep my bikes in the house or the car/van and prefer them dry. You can potter around in the garden in waterproofs and get something useful done. Given the torrential downpours we have been getting I much prefer this way.

Top Bottom