No longer being updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hey guys, play nicely, this a tread about building stuff in the garden, not horticulture.

Totally agree…..but the usual few want the thread shut yet again, cause they always think they know better.

cheers charlie :okay:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Im going to say this one last time and hopefully it will hit home with some.

This is a thread about the rebuild of my garden, which quite a lot of people have liked on this forum and have asked me to keep it updated. Which i am doing to the best of my ability, but some members make it very challenging.

Now, if your not happy with the thread, dont like seeing nice lush green grass in a small corner of wales or you think you can do better. Then do me a favour and ignore the thread. You doing me, the thread or the forum any good by hanging around and having snide digs or snide comments.

Hope this helps and have a good day all.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
A thread isn't your private property.
You opened with a request for gabion advice. I've been in the stone game all my working life, and gave some advice. You just ignored it. And then called us out for having a chat about walls in "your" thread. Paul, who has recently commented, has been in horticulture I think, all his working life. You call him out for correcting your ill-informed post.
Would it really hurt you that much to realise some people do actually know more about something than you?
Surely a forum is a place where we share stuff so we can all learn a bit more about life?
Or do you just all want us to blow smoke up your ass and tell you how brilliant your garden is? I mean, I am sure (certain) you are very proud of it, but it's just a garden.
If you post your bright green lawn in a time of the longest drought in Europe for decades and naively think you can get away with it (I mean, you definitely know you're shaking the tree), and can't see a bigger picture...well, you really are unique.
And that passive aggressive way you end your posts doesn't help, does it? Is there no room in your world for reflection?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

You clearly know very little about growing plants, if you knew much at all you would understand why that is such a very silly statement.

my greenhouse full of fruit, veg would beg to differ........but everyones an expert hey

PaulSB

Legendary Member
my greenhouse full of fruit, veg would beg to differ........but everyones an expert hey

44 years in commercial horticulture gives me some knowledge. Roots perform two basic functions, to collect water, oxygen and nutrients from the soil and transport these into the plant and support and "anchor" a plant in place.

Lawn grasses are low growing, shallow rooting perennials which require water at a very shallow depth in the soil.

Many plants are deeper rooting and if these are regularly watered incorrectly they can suffer. Deep rooting plants which find the water needed near the surface may fail to produce a deep root system. In times of drought their roots will not be deep enough to tap into moisture deeper in the soil. With a shallow root system the plant could be unstable. Watering plants in open ground needs to be thorough and soak the soil to a significant depth.

Anything I grow on my allotment is thoroughly watered prior to planting out and gets one further watering. Nothing more.

Too much TLC isn't a good idea.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

44 years in commercial horticulture gives me some knowledge. Roots perform two basic functions, to collect water, oxygen and nutrients from the soil and transport these into the plant and support and "anchor" a plant in place.

Lawn grasses are low growing, shallow rooting perennials which require water at a very shallow depth in the soil.

Many plants are deeper rooting and if these are regularly watered incorrectly they can suffer. Deep rooting plants which find the water needed near the surface may fail to produce a deep root system. In times of drought their roots will not be deep enough to tap into moisture deeper in the soil. With a shallow root system the plant could be unstable. Watering plants in open ground needs to be thorough and soak the soil to a significant depth.

Anything I grow on my allotment is thoroughly watered prior to planting out and gets one further watering. Nothing more.

Too much TLC isn't a good idea.

I wasnt watering plants…..

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Sorry? When grass cease to be a plant? Anyway I was trying to help you understand why your heavy rain remark was pretty silly.

No matter. I know nothing

My heavy rain comment was tongue in cheek, because obviously grass cant talk……But who cares.

its my garden, my water, i’ll do what i want with it and no forum member is going to tell me otherwise. Ive done a fine damn job over the last 6 months of building my garden solo and i be damned if i have people on here put me down over it……..

This is my last post on the water issue, as i am not falling foul of the mods yet again in my own thread, which may stop me from updating it.

Have a nice day.

PK99

Legendary Member
My heavy rain comment was tongue in cheek, because obviously grass cant talk……But who cares.

its my garden, my water, i’ll do what i want with it and no forum member is going to tell me otherwise. Ive done a fine damn job over the last 6 months of building my garden solo and i be damned if i have people on here put me down over it……..

This is my last post on the water issue, as i am not falling foul of the mods yet again in my own thread, which may stop me from updating it.

Have a nice day.

It is not your thread, it is a thread you started. That is the way forums work. If you want ownership - start your own forum!

Why is it that whatever thread you get involved in descends into an argument?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

It is not your thread, it is a thread you started. That is the way forums work. If you want ownership - start your own forum!

Why is it that whatever thread you get involved in descends into an argument?

Ask the people who get involved in the arguments…..like yourself.

i mean to be fair, i only posted a picture of my garden being watered and people took offence to it…..so i didnt start any of the arguments. I also didnt ask for any advice on watering plants, but people thought it right to give me some…..so maybe ask those people.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Heres the difference between where i live and my parents a few miles away, but still in wales. We have had two days of rain where i am and 10miles away where my parents live…..hardly a drop.

But i live nearly 1000ft higher up in the welsh valleys than they do….last night with the thunder and lightning it was pretty torrential for a good few hours and we have had some pretty heavy down pours today……my mate around 13 miles the other direction has been painting his fences.

My grass is that green now, it would make kermit the frog envious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom