Garden strimmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Has anyone ever bought a strimmer that doesn’t snap off every 5 minutes.

I’ve only got a small garden so don’t need a professional petrol one. But it has to manage small areas of ivy, bramble and nettles.

My current flymo strimmer doesn’t cut anything thicker than grass before the nylon snaps. And the supposedly simple mechanism for extending the nylon doesn’t work.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Got a straight shaft petrol Ryobi for the allotment. It is pretty good and I have never felt the need to use the blade that came with it. What diameter cord does it use?

Smudge

Veteran
I bought a Worx cordless strimmer from Argos 10 years ago. It wasn't that expensive so i didn't expect it to last, but its still going fine. It has only used a couple of spools of line, that feed out automatically when the line breaks and its still on its original NiCad battery.
I expect they come with lithium batt now, but i would buy this make strimmer again when i have to.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got a 25 year old Black and Decker strimmer with command feed - that still works properly. Just bop on the ground and it feeds. The plastic 'cap' over the line wore out and I was able to get another for it last year, despite it's age.

The flymo one at our caravan doesn't feed as well and is a pain and snaps all the time.

A working autofeed is the key.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Got a straight shaft petrol Ryobi for the allotment. It is pretty good and I have never felt the need to use the blade that came with it. What diameter cord does it use?
It’s the standard flymo nylon. Maybe 2-3mm.

I’m thinking it may be needs new nylon, it may have degraded in the shed over the years.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Ryobi petrol interchangeable system here (hedge clippers, lawn edger 'n' stuff). All works fine.

You wish buy this, special price? (seriously)

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
brush 1.jpg

Faratid

Has anyone ever bought a strimmer that doesn’t snap off every 5 minutes.

I’ve only got a small garden so don’t need a professional petrol one. But it has to manage small areas of ivy, bramble and nettles.

My current flymo strimmer doesn’t cut anything thicker than grass before the nylon snaps. And the supposedly simple mechanism for extending the nylon doesn’t work.

Well, clearly you do need a 'professional petrol one', since the flymo snaps all the time as the line isn't thick enough, the material being cut is too thick for it, and the rpm of the line isn't high enough due to the lack of power of the electric motor. The size of the actual garden is irrelevant.

You need a petrol brushcutter for ivy, brambles and nettles, not an electric grass trimmer.

Cambram

I got some 100lb (I think) breaking strain fishing line from Decathlon. Very cheap and easy to rewind onto the reel probably once a year - depending on use, of course. This is onto an old electric strimmer. Easy to let out the line as it wears and seems to last well on lawn edges and longer grass.

Top Bottom