Garden strimmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Heavy duty line or brush cutter for brambles..ect.

I use a cheap screwfix petrol Titan one at work with 2.4 mm line ,works well ,last well. And I do a fair bit within the grounds

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Well, clearly you do need a 'professional petrol one', since the flymo snaps all the time as the line isn't thick enough, the material being cut is too thick for it, and the rpm of the line isn't high enough due to the lack of power of the electric motor. The size of the actual garden is irrelevant.

You need a petrol brushcutter for ivy, brambles and nettles, not an electric grass trimmer.
Correct IMO. I have tried electric ones and all were useless. I have a husquevarna petrol one which cuts anything in my medium size garden including brambles and Jerusalem artichokes which are out of control.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Toolstation are doing a petrol Einhell brush cutter for £100 but they are out of stock. Similar priced ones are available on Amazon. I found them better for my back, although they're heavier they come with a harness. Something to consider if the new cord isn't any better.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I've had a Flymo strimmer in the past and also had probs with line breaking too easy and not feeding out properly. I also dont rate their mowers either.
I steer clear of anything Flymo these days.
I have Flymo mowers and had to replace the drive belt on one recently which was only 3 years old. I got a new belt easily enough but was surprised to find that Flymo is now part of Husquevarna.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've an Einhell cordless strimmer. Instead of that crappy nylon wire it has a plastic blade that clips in. Naturally, they wear out and need replacing every second or 3rd use, but it's a 2 second unclip-reclip job. Theres even a holder on the handle to keep spare blades. Those nylon wire things are dreadful.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-X-Change-Cordless-Lithium-Trimmer/dp/B00HEF4XR0

Be mindful that some places sell the bare unit without battery and charger.

Mike_P

Guru
Bit late to the thread, need one that will trim grass growing up next to a wall, raised edging or a fence. Had one previously which was brilliant but the last two, a Bosch and a twin spool (absolute pain that, ended up just using one) Spear & Jackson are absolute rubbish and neither move the thread on despite claiming to do so.

Top Bottom