Gardeners Question Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Dug a few clumps out of our garden when we moved in. Broke a spade! Usually two of us dug around it and then two spades to lever it out from either side....

stephec

Legendary Member
Looks like pampas, think i would dig it out even if its quite an excavation and then keep going back to check for any regrowth.
But SJ might be the sharing type, or possibly his neighbours.

Chief Broom

Veteran
But SJ might be the sharing type, or possibly his neighbours.
Possibly, but if i had a neighbour that knowingly planted an invasive plant next to a boundary i wouldnt be impressed. Bamboo's are an especial pta for many. Dig it out and put in place a physical barrier buried vertically to stop any remaining roots intruding from the neighbours side ie a sheet of corrugated

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It looks to me like Carex pendula (a sedge) which is sometimes grown as an ornamental plant. It's a bully and I've noticed becoming very widespread in the wild in recent years, I rip out any which appear in the hedgerows around my allotment. If this came from a planted trough it's possible the grower would have used it as a plant to give height but in my view it's a pretty dodgy nursery/garden centre which would use such a beast.

It is difficult to tell from a photo of a trashed plant but I go for either this or Cortaderia (pampas). I doubt you'll kill it with any chemical a member of the public can legally buy and I'm doubtful commercial growers will have anything available. I'm sceptical about covering it with anything as this will be powerful enough to grow through a barrier. Your best bet is to dig out all you can and physically damage what is left sufficiently to prevent it from growing back.

Gillstay

Über Member
It looks to me like Carex pendula (a sedge) which is sometimes grown as an ornamental plant. It's a bully and I've noticed becoming very widespread in the wild in recent years, I rip out any which appear in the hedgerows around my allotment. If this came from a planted trough it's possible the grower would have used it as a plant to give height but in my view it's a pretty dodgy nursery/garden centre which would use such a beast.

It is difficult to tell from a photo of a trashed plant but I go for either this or Cortaderia (pampas). I doubt you'll kill it with any chemical a member of the public can legally buy and I'm doubtful commercial growers will have anything available. I'm sceptical about covering it with anything as this will be powerful enough to grow through a barrier. Your best bet is to dig out all you can and physically damage what is left sufficiently to prevent it from growing back.
The trick is if its in a sunny spot to use some thing black to cover it is not as a barrier but ( I often use a bit of roofing felt) to also scorch it.
Its not that its a barrier so much as a disrupter. Your correct its Carex.

Drago

Legendary Member
My step brother works for Network Rail and gets me the stuff they spray on the weeds at the trackside. Open the lid and a green fog rolls out, and the container faintly trembles with the pent up evil.

Top Bottom