Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Wolf tools on the whole are pretty damn good. With a lifetime guarantee too.

And interchangeable heads, as well :smile:

I like the handles with the condomised ends as pictured.
Easier on the hand after a few hours of it..
you need to mutter curses under your breath too......

Definitely, incanting a few grounsel hexes never goes amiss..

"Die a crispy death. you barstewards.."

Us organic farmers and growers are such nice people :angel:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We have an Acer tree in the garden and must say its our favourite tree/shrub, it was already in the garden and is in a spot which had both sun and shade.
How easy are they to grow on and do they live in pots well...?
I've had huge success growing on Alder trees this year to plant out.
The conditions you describe are ideal for Japanese Acers. The one you have is, I think, Acer palmatum and the golden forms of this plant can be unhappy in full sun or exposed locations - cold winds in particular.

All Acers can be grown very successfully in pots. We have three which are 6-7 years old and I have neighbours with four of a similar age. If you want to grow in pots I would suggest using Acer disectum or japonicum and preferably varieties which are other than gold. You can successfully grow palmatum types in pots but again I'd avoid the golden foliage types.

I only suggest avoiding the golden foliage types because in my experience they are less tolerant of frost and cold wind. All Acers can suffer in these situations but the golden forms more so. A big advantage of growing in a pot is you can move your plant around to find the ideal location and if frost is an issue keep it somewhere protected till the danger of frost has passed.

We grow ours in plastic containers and then slip these in to a ceramic ornamental pot. This means when repotting is needed the whole job is much easier.

Acers are initially slow growing and it's worth spending extra to get a larger and more mature plant. I'm not a fan of instant gardening but this is one exception I'd chose a larger plant. Go to a quality garden centre and look through the stocks carefully, you'll find quite a variation in size, shape etc. Be prepared to pay, Acers are slow growing and the cost reflects the time it takes to grow a plant on the nursery.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
And interchangeable heads, as well :smile:

I like the handles with the condomised ends as pictured.
Easier on the hand after a few hours of it..

Definitely, incanting a few grounsel hexes never goes amiss..

"Die a crispy death. you barstewards.."

Us organic farmers and growers are such nice people :angel:
Condomised end isn’t a phrase I ever anticipated encountering.

Thank you.
I think.....

potsy

Rambler
The conditions you describe are ideal for Japanese Acers. The one you have is, I think, Acer palmatum and the golden forms of this plant can be unhappy in full sun or exposed locations - cold winds in particular.

All Acers can be grown very successfully in pots. We have three which are 6-7 years old and I have neighbours with four of a similar age. If you want to grow in pots I would suggest using Acer disectum or japonicum and preferably varieties which are other than gold. You can successfully grow palmatum types in pots but again I'd avoid the golden foliage types.

I only suggest avoiding the golden foliage types because in my experience they are less tolerant of frost and cold wind. All Acers can suffer in these situations but the golden forms more so. A big advantage of growing in a pot is you can move your plant around to find the ideal location and if frost is an issue keep it somewhere protected till the danger of frost has passed.

We grow ours in plastic containers and then slip these in to a ceramic ornamental pot. This means when repotting is needed the whole job is much easier.

Acers are initially slow growing and it's worth spending extra to get a larger and more mature plant. I'm not a fan of instant gardening but this is one exception I'd chose a larger plant. Go to a quality garden centre and look through the stocks carefully, you'll find quite a variation in size, shape etc. Be prepared to pay, Acers are slow growing and the cost reflects the time it takes to grow a plant on the nursery.
I quite fancy an Acer in the garden, thanks for this advice.

Like the idea of keeping it in a pot too, will look into that.

Hicky

Guru
I quite fancy an Acer in the garden, thanks for this advice.

Like the idea of keeping it in a pot too, will look into that.
For the changing of the colours of the leaves which is quite dramatic for the variety we have its stunning, you won't regret it. Our other favourite too is Pieris "Forest Flame", have a gander however a different size and shape it too has dramatic changes of colour.;)

Hicky

Guru
Can someone tell me what this delight is filling my beds? The plant front and centre with the red stems. I assume it’s a weed as it grows fairly readily and quickly however my Ms planted a wild seed mix so I’m unsure....

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Low-growing varieties of cotoneaster are great for virtually trouble-free ground cover with seasonal flowers and berries. Try Cotoneaster microphyllus cochleatus (make sure you get a low-growing cultivar). Height 15cm, spread at maturity about 1.5m per plant:
https://www.jacksonsnurseries.co.uk/cotoneaster-microphyllus.html
Trim once a year and you have solved the problem of the scrappy corners where specimen plants and flowers do not really work. Now is a good time to plant. Good luck and green fingers.

Last edited:

Hicky

Guru
Two Acers bought, the red for the garden to contrast against the one already planted and the Orange dream is going in a wooden planter I’ll make for the front which is north facing however it gets some sun late in the evening.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Lawn question.. Is now a good time to scarify a lawn. It's quite moist underfoot at the moment with lots of moss creeping ever onwards.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Lawn question.. Is now a good time to scarify a lawn. It's quite moist underfoot at the moment with lots of moss creeping ever onwards.
Should have been done early October......it’s way too wet now and if you reseed, it won’t grow and will leave you with really muddy patches.

you could buy a grass friendly moss killing seed instead and just sprinkle it all over the garden

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Should have been done early October......it’s way too wet now and if you reseed, it won’t grow and will leave you with really muddy patches.

you could buy a grass friendly moss killing seed instead and just sprinkle it all over the garden
I was thinking it might be too wet. I'll go with the second option, I reckon, thanks.

Top Bottom