Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@PaulSB Thanks for that. The largest one is a cutting taken from my dad's hydrangea over 35 years ago!
I've grown several, from cuttings, off that over the years. I need to re-pot a couple now so I'll go ericaceous on those ones. The main one might have to be either left pink, or attempt to alter the pH.

👍🏼

tom73

Guru
On the subject of ericaceous compost please remember to use a peat free ericaceous one. We need all the Peat bogs we can not just for wildlife but they have a massive about of co2 locked in them. Which once it erodes it all ends up adding to rising global co2 levels.

tom73

Guru
Applies to all composts not just ericaceous.
Totally I’ve not touched the stuff for many years I’ve seen mass peat extraction in action it’s horrific.
Just thought it worth pointing out you can get ericaceous that‘s peat free. All you hear is ‘’you need a peat based compost“. General peat free compose is common talk ericaceous ones less so.

Hicky

Guru
I've been having issues with weeds in our garden as everyone does...there's quite a few mature shrubs so putting down a weed membrane down is a bit of a mare to say the least. Would a thick layer of chippings do the job or am i just putting off the inevitable?

tom73

Guru
No not not at all by "thick layer of chippings" you are thinking bark not slate or similar ?
Good thick layer is ideal 3 to 4 in is what you should aim for now is in fact a good time to do it anyway.
You will need to keep topping it up and some my still come throw or seed into the mulch.
The latter are easy to pull out they tend to be only rooted into the mulch.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I've been having issues with weeds in our garden as everyone does...there's quite a few mature shrubs so putting down a weed membrane down is a bit of a mare to say the least. Would a thick layer of chippings do the job or am i just putting off the inevitable?

The hoe is your friend if you have time to whizz round your garden once a week.
In my 35 year horticulture career I’ve learned that this is the best labour saving tool.

JhnBssll

Veteran
One of my friends is a hoe. I've still got weeds in my garden though.

Hicky

Guru
The hoe is your friend if you have time to whizz round your garden once a week.
In my 35 year horticulture career I’ve learned that this is the best labour saving tool.
I was taking the tops off everything then giving it a light turning over, I almost felt like I was reseeding them as the bugger kept multiplying!!!

Hicky

Guru
We have an Acer tree in the garden and must say its our favourite tree/shrub, it was already in the garden and is in a spot which had both sun and shade.
How easy are they to grow on and do they live in pots well...?
I've had huge success growing on Alder trees this year to plant out.

Attachments

• acer.jpeg
    acer.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 1
Top Bottom