Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are there any healthy bits? If so you could take it out of the pot and remove the bits that have gone full circle then repot the healthy bits.
It's (or was depending how unhealthy it is) a Bromeliad. For growing conditions Google Bilbergia.

It's not exactly gardening, sorry, but I have had this tatty old pot plant for about 20 years. It lives in the bathroom, which it seems to like.

View attachment 417153

But at least once a year it does this:
View attachment 417154

The green bits elongate and unfurl, it's quite spectacular. Never judge a book by its cover :smile:.

Looks a bit droopy, if you don't mind me saying ...

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 5297108, member: 9609"]you should try and be concerned, it is very important. And if you couldn't care less about unprecedented declines in wildlife along with unprecedented extinction of species then please don't try and belittle those who do care with silly remarks like 'try not to worry'.[/QUOTE]

Okay, do worry! Knock yourself out.

Mrs M

Guru
I’ve seen a few bees :smile:
Saw my first butterfly today, a cream colour, zoomed past as I was hanging the washing out!

Lullabelle

Banana
We had a bee busy in the hanging basket

20180701_184552.jpg

PaulSB

Legendary Member
F35D9B18-BF55-4D66-B7A4-9E9E891B3788.jpeg
I’m establishing new red currant and black currant bushes. The old ones had become very woody and unmanageable. Using two year plants from a reputable grower, correctly pruned these were planted last autumn and have established well.

However the new growth on the red currant is top heavy and has pulled the branches down to almost horizontal. This began about four weeks ago and I left the shoots hoping they would return to normal. They haven’t.

This morning I’ve staked the shoots which are strong and thickening up well at the base at an angle of 60 degrees and formed as much of a goblet shape as possible with stressing or breaking the growth. The plant doesn’t look great as this was only done two hours ago.

I’m wondering if a summer pruning back to the wood that has begun to stiffen would be an idea? This would reduce the growth by 20-30%.

Any thoughts?

My leeks are in the same bed as I was I short of space.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
View attachment 417379 I’m establishing new red currant and black currant bushes. The old ones had become very woody and unmanageable. Using two year plants from a reputable grower, correctly pruned these were planted last autumn and have established well.

However the new growth on the red currant is top heavy and has pulled the branches down to almost horizontal. This began about four weeks ago and I left the shoots hoping they would return to normal. They haven’t.

This morning I’ve staked the shoots which are strong and thickening up well at the base at an angle of 60 degrees and formed as much of a goblet shape as possible with stressing or breaking the growth. The plant doesn’t look great as this was only done two hours ago.

I’m wondering if a summer pruning back to the wood that has begun to stiffen would be an idea? This would reduce the growth by 20-30%.

Any thoughts?

My leeks are in the same bed as I was I short of space.

Currants are normally a winter pruning job. Some leave the first year cut to one bud as late as early spring. Second year pruning (about 30% reduction) is included. The earliest I have heard you can prune is after harvest. I did try and look up any diseases you may encourage by summer pruning but found none.

You say ‘bushes’. In that case, could you experiment with half the stock and with the rest prune by the text book? At least then if it doesn’t fruit for a year, only half your stock is affected.

I don’t know if the sap of ribes works in the same way as hard fruit like apples, but festooning actually slows the sap and produces better quality fruit. Anyone?

It may be the photo, but currants like a moist, rich soil too. Easier said than done at the moment.

Top Bottom