Garmin 1030 Plus or Edge Explore 2? Just touring ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
How accurate is the elevation in the units , Garmin and Strava have different ideas about the climb data. My Garmin explore misses lots of sub 5m climbs but Strava sorts that out by comparing the route against it its database. And my 520 and other older units always give a higher altitude climb figure than the explore. Need one with a faster refresh rate .

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
How accurate is the elevation in the units , Garmin and Strava have different ideas about the climb data. My Garmin explore misses lots of sub 5m climbs but Strava sorts that out by comparing the route against it its database. And my 520 and other older units always give a higher altitude climb figure than the explore. Need one with a faster refresh rate .

That's common subject of discussion. GPS elevation is not great but both the Explore 2 and 1030 have barometric altimiters. On the other hand elevation databases are much coarser and things like Strava have to interpolate between relatively sparse spot heights. This is a separate topic and the answer is "choose ONE method that you like and STICK TO IT. Never compare total climbing figures that have been arrived at by different methods. It's not a meaningful comparison". Also (more philosophical): "Define accurate. What does total elevation gain actually mean"?

abcd efg

Über Member
Why not look at Wahoo Roam? A similar price to the 1030 and a vastly superior product. For one thing you won't have to jab at a touch screen at the same moment you hit a lump in the road! That is a real issue.

In all seriousness if you're spending +/-$450 you must take a serious look at Wahoo. Their products are more reliable, simpler to use and customer service is outstanding. I run the original Elemnt which I chose mainly for the larger screen.

I converted to Wahoo about 4 years ago and would never go back to Garmin.

I have a Garmin Edge 2 and it is a wonderful bit of kit, especially for touring. It's easy to use (I'm a tech idiot, but I managed to learn how quickly. And Garmin's help telephone for when you are a bit stuck, is tremedous.

ExBrit

Über Member
I haven't owned a Garmin headunit since I bought my first Wahoo Elemnt about 5 years ago. I would never go back. I bought the color version a couple of years ago and sold the old Elemnt to my son-in-law. I dislike touch screens - so difficult to use when the road is a bit bumpy. I also like that the Wahoo screen is easy to read even in bright sunlight.

Wahoo pushes through software updates that constantly improve the functionality. The Elemnt I have now is much better than when I bought it. The climbing data, return to route, and reroute features have all improved. World-wide maps are free and very detailed. I had to pay extra for foreign maps on my Garmin. I've never had a Wahoo fail during a ride (unlike the Garmin) and the battery life is about 14 hours.

Buy one now before they go bankrupt :sad:

Sallar55

Veteran
What does total elevation gain actually mean"?
I judge effort by distance times metres climbed

With my Explore it's starting to lockup on a height, can decrease elevation on a climb and gain on a descent. Even allowing for a lag in the data this can last for quite a while ,just seems to switch off then start recording elevation change randomly. For me its a shame as the distance works perfectly. Going to do another check /update or factory reset.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Going OT but this means that if you rode any distance, however short or long, on a perfectly flat road, ie an ascent of zero, it would take zero effort. Hmm, that doesn't sound right.

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Going OT but this means that if you rode any distance, however short or long, on a perfectly flat road, ie an ascent of zero, it would take zero effort. Hmm, that doesn't sound right.
All depends where you live. Flat roads are to be avoided as up here they are motorways.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

With my Explore it's starting to lockup on a height, can decrease elevation on a climb and gain on a descent. Even allowing for a lag in the data this can last for quite a while ,just seems to switch off then start recording elevation change randomly. For me its a shame as the distance works perfectly. Going to do another check /update or factory reset.

Interestingly my Edge 530 went bonkers today with elevation. Showed negative gadients going uphill. Never done that before. Elevation track all over the place.

Possible reasons:
1. I didn't calibrate the altimeter. I didn't start from home, and all my rides from home go over calibration points. So I was relying on auto-calibrate.
2. The weather was horrible so the pressure was probably changing.
3. It was raining - a lot - and my 530 wears a silcone case and my theory is that the barometer port got blocked with moisture.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
After lots of glitches, I finally gave up on my Garmin when it told me I was on a Greek island.

The difference between there and where I was - a former pit village in East Durham - could hardly be more marked.

Perhaps I should have credited the damn thing with a sense of humour.

Top Bottom