Garmin 200.....I cant get my files to open....helpppp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am the original 'technophobe' but have managed to do all the necessary and have downloaded 2 rides.......so far so good. When I plug the garmin in it leads me to a folder which has 2 numbered files which are dated so must be my rides and when I click on either of them it appears to be trying to open but nothing happens. There is a box which asks me if I want to open the file or save it......I have done both without success.
Behind the box there is a 2nd box which shows a world globe with files flying across to an open folder and the words "Getting File Information" but this just carries on & on.
I have tried opening them with various programmes i.e. internet explorer/paint etc. but nothing works.
Any suggestions?? (in baby language please as I am hopless with computer speak)
Thanks

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Ok, you don't need to open the files, register with http://connect.garmin.com/ and then you can upload the files using garmin connect, then the data can be viewed online.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Your rides can be viewed via third parties such a Garmin Connect or you can transfer to something like bikeroute toaster.
I use bikeroutetoaster to create rides and transfer them to a 705 and then will follow the route I have created.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You can open the files with Notepad, but it will make no sense to you as it is in XML format.

Your best bet is to upload them onto garmin connect.
If you install garmin communicator then it will do it all for you when you choose upload from the website.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
QUOTE...If you install garmin communicator then it will do it all for you when you choose upload from the website.....QUOTE

Right.
For some reason I can now view the rides via Garminconnect. However I can't open the saved files on my computer........there is a warning that some files can cause harm but I can't get them to open?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why open them. I don't unless there is an error. You can't just click it and it displays the route. On your computer you need to use training centre programme to import it.

The file is just a big text file you can 'open with' and click notepad for example, ten you'll see what it is, just a big text file. I have done this only to fix one corrupt file.

All I do is import to training centre as the file needs processing before its useable.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom