Garmin 200 or Edge Tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

man in black

can not decide on which one!
Looking to tour in May in France don't wont to get lost, also does anyone know if it has live tracking it doesn't say, but halfords youngster said it did, I am not convinced
Using Strava on iPhone at moment and looking to upgrade. No use for heart monitor or power meter stuff. Just want to make up some routes, download and head off to different places!

Any advice would be great!

Many thanks in advance

Tony

BrynCP

Über Member
The Edge 200 will only allow you to follow a trail, there are no maps. You can use certain sites to get notes pop up such as turn left / turn right etc. This does me fine for my rides, not sure how it will suit for longer touring: for example if you come up to a diversion or closed road you're on your own until you get back on course. It has no live tracking.

I don't know much about the Edge Touring, but I don't believe it has live tracking.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
With the edge tourer you can sit at a PC and plot the exact route that you want to take and save it onto your edge tourer. When you start the route it will give you a turn by turn display just like the Sat Nav in your car.

You can also select a town or address directly from the Edge Tourer like you can on a GPS and it will direct you there.

The Edge Tourer also has many Points of interest, accommodation, garages etc, which I don't think the 200 has.

I am not sure how the 200 operates but I am sure someone will let you know.

Peteaud

Veteran
With the edge tourer you can sit at a PC and plot the exact route that you want to take and save it onto your edge tourer. When you start the route it will give you a turn by turn display just like the Sat Nav in your car.

You can also select a town or address directly from the Edge Tourer like you can on a GPS and it will direct you there.

The Edge Tourer also has many Points of interest, accommodation, garages etc, which I don't think the 200 has.

I am not sure how the 200 operates but I am sure someone will let you know.

You can do the same with the 200 but only get a bread crumb trail not a map.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I like my Edge Touring. The more I use it, the more comfortable I get with it. i use it for every ride, not just for routing. It then gives me a record of wot I've done.

OP
OP
M

man in black

Many thanks for your replies everyone, I think I will try the tourer, and will let you all know how I get on!
Cheers!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have an Edge 200 and it's good for what I need, but ...

If you are touring in unfamiliar territory and won't be able to plot your rides on a PC every evening for the next day, then I'd get something with inbuilt maps instead.

Top Bottom