Garmin 520 vs Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robbo_123

Regular
Hi Guys,

I'm sure this has been asked before but here we go. I'm looking at investing in a bike computer. Having a look around I have narrowed it down to either the Garmin or Wahoo. Both seem around the same price point and basically the same features. There seems to be a trend in people moving from Garmin to Wahoo so I was wondering what everyone's experiences have been with either device.

Thanks

Buck

Guru
I was wondering what everyone's experiences have been with either device.

Thanks

Hi

I've got the Garmin 520. Nice bit of kit even if it isn't perfect.

I wondered whether it being button operation rather than touch screen would be a negative but actually it just works - you just remember which button does what and that's fine.

For route mapping you can download openmaps which works well and will give you turn directions.

Live strava segments is OK but can be a bit gimmicky and also demotivating If you are behind a starred section time and can see the deficit with no chance of making it back - I'm starting to ignore this feature more now.

Biggest downsides?

Firstly is battery life. I did a 100 mile ride a few weeks back and I had to charge it half way around as it looked like the battery wouldn't last the whole ride (admittedly this was with mapping/turns running). I've bought a small charge block to deal with this next time I'm on a long ride
Secondly, it can be inconsistent linking to my iPhone and/or the Garmin Connect app which means rides don't auto-upload as they should. This is inconsistent so I'm not sure why it happens.

Overall though it is a good piece of kit and the one review/comparison against the Wahoo gave the Garmin the prize as being the better bike computer.

Oxo

Guru
I have a Garmin 820 Explore. It was simple to set up with Bluetooth link to phone etc. I've not had any battery problems but longest ride used for was 60 miles.
Courses are easy to set up but using Garmin software you can't create a course on a tablet or phone using the app.
The only problem I have is remembering to switch it on at the start of a ride. I am more than satisfied with it, it does everything I want.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Garmin Edge Touring is what I own and loathe. As soon as something similar comes onto the market that I can afford, I'm jumping ship. I've had almost constant software issues and yesterday it decided to 'Auto Shut Down' when charging from a battery. I get that it does this on a dyno hub, but a powerful battery? Come on. This is all despite having the 'Auto Shut Down' switched to off. Garmin has a mind of its own and on a 200+ km Audax, I really could do without the hassle.

Frickin' ranting aren't I?

(Weirdly, when we passed some military barracks, a few riders experienced their GPS's crashing. I put it down to the stones of Avebury and Stonehenge.)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My 520 can easily last 200 miles, even with routing and mapping on. The key is the backlight, make sure it is not set too brightly or set to constant. A recent firmware upgrade for me reset the backlight to 100% without me realising.

toontra

Veteran
People are switching to Wahoo for a reason. I've had a Bolt for a few weeks and the Garmin is now in a drawer and will only be used as a backup. The Bolt wins on:

1) Battery life - I've had 16 hours out of it with backlight permanently on & all functions. That's all I'm ever likely to need.
2) App setup - the customisation options are easy and endless. You get precisely what you want on screen(s)
3) Follow route accuracy - beeps and flashing LEDs make it virtually impossible to go off route.
4) Seamless syncing with RideWithGPS (and I presume Strava but haven't tried as I don't use it)

The only weakness I've found so far is, if for whatever reason you do go off route, it's difficult to see your arrowed route on the map page when scrolled out - it just disappears into the black lines of roads. But as I say, you are unlikely to get into this situation.

The best bit of cycling kit I've bought in a very long time!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm listening with interest.

I've put my Garmin Edge Touring on that auction site and I'll probably go for a Wahoo Elemnt (not the Bolt)

I really like how you set the device up with your phone and various other features, too numerous to mention.

Let us know how much you get for it as thinking of doing the exact same.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Let us know how much you get for it as thinking of doing the exact same.

Sure will do. Up to £59.99 so far (2hrs) for the special edition which has a silicone cover and out front mount.

I had 3 questions for Wahoo. No reply 24hrs later. I rang as their site said they were open between 3pm-12 for calls, but an answer message said they were closed. Eek! What if I ever need after sales service? I haven't bought anything yet.

I'll add my experience to back the view that the Garmin Touring device is an appalling piece of kit. I've had mine over a year now and numerous inexplicable faults with it. The latest is the final straw. On a recent 4 day long distance ride from Bridgwater to Rochdale the device suddenly decided on Day 3 to stop giving me route directions from the saved gpx course. If that wasn't bad enough, it now won't give directions from any saved routes!

A search on Google reveals a very large number of cyclists disappointed with their Garmins.

I reckon it'll be the Wahoo element Bolt for me when I've got the readies.

pclay

Veteran
My current device is a Garmin 810. It generally behaves itself, but if has crashed in the past, loosing me 40 miles before now. My next device will not be a Garmin, it will be a Wahoo.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have 2 Garmin Edge 800s that have served me well over the last several years, but I will be considering a Wahoo brand bike computer when these Garmins finally reach their end of useful lifespan, or perhaps a Bryton (haven't decided yet).

Milzy

Guru
People are switching to Wahoo for a reason. I've had a Bolt for a few weeks and the Garmin is now in a drawer and will only be used as a backup. The Bolt wins on:

1) Battery life - I've had 16 hours out of it with backlight permanently on & all functions. That's all I'm ever likely to need.
2) App setup - the customisation options are easy and endless. You get precisely what you want on screen(s)
3) Follow route accuracy - beeps and flashing LEDs make it virtually impossible to go off route.
4) Seamless syncing with RideWithGPS (and I presume Strava but haven't tried as I don't use it)

The only weakness I've found so far is, if for whatever reason you do go off route, it's difficult to see your arrowed route on the map page when scrolled out - it just disappears into the black lines of roads. But as I say, you are unlikely to get into this situation.

The best bit of cycling kit I've bought in a very long time!
I can only echo this, the bolt blows everything out of the water. Did 106 mile with gps map on and it hardly used any battery. Amazing bit of kit and I find it user friendly.

Top Bottom