Garmin 705

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I'm thinking of getting a garmin 705 with heart rate sensor, anyone got one if so what do you think of it? Is the elevation measurements accurate?

Or are there others which I should consider?

Thanks for any input!

Arsen Gere

Über Member
There are loads of sources of info via google but here's my general view.

I use a 705 for finding slow spots in time trials and for tracking routes on triathlons so I can work out where I need improvement and compare year on year. I like the connect.garmin.com stuff but there are others that allow you to track your progress on line.

The elevation like the general road tracking is not that accurate. I would not open a parachute based on it !
I have never started and finished at the same altitude on the same circuit, ok its only a few feet difference in most cases. You can calibrate it if its out too. I know I have never cycled underwater but it thinks I have.

The people who plan routes for marathons and other longer distance events use a bike with calibrated speedo not gps because the granularity of the sample on gps is not fine enough, its digital not analogue so it has to have a sample rate which introduces some inaccuracy. Its accurate enough for most people including me.

The maps supplied as a default are rubbish.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I use my iPhone at the mo, i know that the elevation info varies on that. I just wonder if there would be more of an improvement using a garmin. But the main reason I was interested was the fact I could monitor my heart rate and compare the stats on different times, and be able to cycle using zones of intensity fixed to my heart rate as a better training aid.

Top Bottom