garmin 800 different prices different maps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
The one at £355 only comes with a very basic map. The map is so bad it is unusable unless you are only wanting to cycle on A roads. It can however be loaded with free maps from Open Street Map...in my experience these are not as good as the "paid for" maps but they are still suitable for mapping and directions unlike the basic map.

I have the version with the OS Maps, those are excellent for mountain biking as well as roads. I also have the European maps on a card and they are good too.

The maps are really unimportant unless you want OS

The OSM Cycle Map is as good as the Garmin Euro maps, fully functional with routing and searches and free!

I have the Garmin maps from my 705 and use the OSM in preference

I got one with heart monitor, cadence sensor and mapping for 370.

Must admit i mis read the ad and thought I was getting OS maps, but later realised it was road maps. Still happy and a great piece of kit. Still after the OS maps, but they are quite pricey.

OP
OP
J

judder

Thanks for all your replies..
As i would be using it on the road are the os maps better as i think they are more detailed, or just have the road maps
Thanks again

zizou

Veteran
Thanks for all your replies..
As i would be using it on the road are the os maps better as i think they are more detailed, or just have the road maps
Thanks again

Comes down to personal preference - i prefer the OS maps for the extra detail but have read other people find them a bit cluttered due to this detail and so prefer the road maps.

The cheapest way to buy the OS maps is getting them with the 800 - if you buy them afterwards they are about £100 for the memory card compared to about £30 for the road maps.

I went for the OS and then backed this up with the OSM Cycle map. Easily changed between and covers all my needs

Top Bottom