Garmin 800: OSM vs City Navigator-searching on a non pre-defined route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CovCycle

Hi

I am about to buy a Garmin800 and deciding or not to pay for the extra city navigator maps or get the openstreetmaps.

Ive done the research and the pros and cons but one thing I can not seem to locate is if your plans deviate from your pre-defined route enroute. Can you punch the postcode/address into the Garmin and it will direct you there. ( I know this is not a usual occurance but Im the kind of person who goes for a ride and then if time thinks "oh ive got a mate who lives nearby, I will go and see him" -im simply not that organised to think about it beforehand in case they start pinning me down for an exact time

I figure that it will do it on the Garmin City Navigator maps but will it do it on Openstreetmaps??

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
In my limited experience of using "Where To?" on a Garmin using OpenCycleMaps it can sometimes route me down roads I'd rather not ride on. However, I just blunder on down the minor road and it soon recalculates....

Pauln

I use OSM on my Garmin 605 and decided not to follow my pre-defined route on a recent visit to London and just told it to navigate me back to a saved location, which is where I was staying, and it did it perfectly. I haven't tried postcodes but the pre-saved location worked perfectly.

Pauln

The roads were fairly busy, although I don't know my way around there and so not sure if there was any other way. I usually just define my routes on Garmin Connect and send them to the device and follow those.

Top Bottom