Garmin 810

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Waste of money.

Mine is going back

Doesn't change screens without crashing, doesn't navigate without crashing

On average 40% of my journeys are either crashed or regaining satellites so not recorded.

Withteh exception of the ability to upload wirelessly my old 305 has the greater reliable functionality!

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I don't have an 810 but had an 800 for almost a couple of years so the set up maybe a little different. First tip I'll say though, when you fire it up for the first time whilst sitting on your sofa with tea and biccies, and you don't think it works properly because it doesn't pick up satellites, go outside for a few minutes...

What can you expect ? If like me you may fall into the trap of analysing data after uploading each of your rides......

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Do a search I have commented lots on the 810. The unit is now stable and I do like it.

@Cunobelin, have you updated firmware to the latest version? My unit has not crashed at all for some time.

Do a search I have commented lots on the 810. The unit is now stable and I do like it.

@Cunobelin, have you updated firmware to the latest version? My unit has not crashed at all for some time.

Yep... especially as it claims to have sorted out the navigating bugs

Then tested it out...

Got to end of road, it changed screen to give instruction, then crashed changing back to the map screen.

All of 50 yards!

Master reset then force update and it managed 3/4 mile before crashing.

I am more and more convinced this a duff unit.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
My 810 still crashes quite a bit when following a course I had planned and uploaded from Garmin Connect

I know of quite a few 800 owners and even more that own the 705 who have no issues following a planned course. Frustrating thing is I waited for the 810 to be launched in the belief that it would be better than the 800! My theory for hanging onto the 810 for now is that in time these initial bugs will EVENTUALLY get sorted with software updates from Garmin and it still will be.

Of course I may be completely wrong it may just be worse than the 800 and the 705!

Paul

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Do you have the latest updates installed already?

I have not had a single crash (with about 8-10 hours of use weekly) since the 2nd major update.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Do you have the latest updates installed already?
I have not had a single crash (with about 8-10 hours of use weekly) since the 2nd major update.

Yes, although I've also just done a full reset to make sure, I've also learned that it's better if I wait starting the whole follow a course process unless I have satellite reception, it will often not work if for example I select the the course and ride on the unit while still indoors (where I have no satellite reception), place it on the bike then walk out the front door and start timer to begin the ride, only to find that a few hundred meters up the road according to the Garmin 810 I am still at my front door!

Since then it has been more reliable

Paul

Washing it helps!

I took the unit off and put it in my trouser pocket

My wife then washed the trousers without checking the pockets.

Since then it has been far more reliable, less crashes and has actually navigated from work to home on one occasion

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Can't quite believe the issues with the 810.:wacko:
Well I have still got mine, for the moment, in the belief that the updates will sort all the teething problems, a friend had an 800 which he bought from launch date that was also troublesome until the updates ironed out the bugs. I still want it to do what I bought it to do, knowing my luck I'll send it back and the next update will make it as wonderful as it sometimes has been!

Top Bottom