Garmin connect now with segments!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
Garmin have just added segments to their website, apparently if you have a new Garmin device you can get real time data on how you are doing during the segment for free unlike Strava which needs a premium account and your phone strapped to your handle bars.
Looks very interesting, has anyone used it during a ride? is it any good?
I guess I will need to upgrade my Edge500! ....another thing to add to my never ending list of cycling wants!

BTW I know segments and competitiveness isn't everyone's game but Strava's segments defiantly have kept me interested and really improved my riding.

jagman.2003

Über Member
Interesting, didn't know you could get updates during a segment. Not sure if I want to know or not. Will have a look to see if my 500 edge will work.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
Interesting, didn't know you could get updates during a segment. Not sure if I want to know or not. Will have a look to see if my 500 edge will work.
The 500 unfortunately doesn't work but you do get update's when you upload your ride when you get back, the same as on Strava. The 510 and 810 support it but you have to upload and ride a course for it to work but the 1000 will do it during a standard ride.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's only on the newer Garmins and you'll need to link it to your phone for the data, so won't work well if out in the middle of nowhere with a poor signal.

To be honest it's too much hastle. I got the Garmins so I could switch them on, and go for a ride with no fuss. This just adds yet more faff.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Instead of adding all of this dreck (they missed the boat on 'segments' etc by a long shot) and for much less effort, Garmin could have added some basic analytical tools which would have massively boosted the functionality of their website!

Rather ridiculous that they produce such sophisticated bits of kit, then offer no real analytical tools to use with them, so everyone who cares about data and performance is using other parties software and website and in many cases paying for it!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
What cheeses me off with Garmin is that they updated the firmware on the 800 so it can control the Garmin Camera (£300+ Purchase) and updated it so it can connect to the Vector Pedals (£1300 Purchase) but for any problems or general improvements forget it. Money grabbing arse of a company. It is not as if the 800 is really old tech but in any Garmin product cycle you spend the first 6 months as a paying beta tester which you can see by the progressive firmware updates curing problems that shouldn't have been there in the first place, and then you get roughly 6-9 months further general firmware support and then it stops, unless of course it involves a Garmin item that requires a purchase. AND When I first bought my 705 a Cycle GPS device I was gutted what the hell you buy a GPS device and the bloody thing doesn't come with decent map arrrggg END of rant!!

Well not quite end of rant, they say they are rolling out the Connect update to heavy users first, well I have over 20k miles in my Garmin account and no sign of it, the truth is they are rolling it out by newest to oldest device.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What cheeses me off with Garmin is that they updated the firmware on the 800 so it can control the Garmin Camera (£300+ Purchase) and updated it so it can connect to the Vector Pedals (£1300 Purchase) but for any problems or general improvements forget it. Money grabbing arse of a company. It is not as if the 800 is really old tech but in any Garmin product cycle you spend the first 6 months as a paying beta tester which you can see by the progressive firmware updates curing problems that shouldn't have been there in the first place, and then you get roughly 6-9 months further general firmware support and then it stops, unless of course it involves a Garmin item that requires a purchase. AND When I first bought my 705 a Cycle GPS device I was gutted what the hell you buy a GPS device and the bloody thing doesn't come with decent map arrrggg END of rant!!

Well not quite end of rant, they say they are rolling out the Connect update to heavy users first, well I have over 20k miles in my Garmin account and no sign of it, the truth is they are rolling it out by newest to oldest device.

I was given the option to move to the new Connect. I use an 810.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
I got my Connect invite a couple of weeks ago, I have the 500 and have had it about a year and a half?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I was given the option to move to the new Connect. I use an 810.
I have an 800 everyone I know with 510/810 seem to offered it too, doesn't really bother me other than their statement that it was rolled out to heavy users which clearly is not the case

The 810 is a current model and still will be even when the 1000 gets fully released.

I am not fussed about the upgrades, just pees me off they do not offer more than one product cycle support to devices, seem a bit off to me.

jagman.2003

Über Member
The 500 unfortunately doesn't work but you do get update's when you upload your ride when you get back, the same as on Strava. The 510 and 810 support it but you have to upload and ride a course for it to work but the 1000 will do it during a standard ride.
Thanks for the info update.

Top Bottom