Garmin Edge 1000 Cycle computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oberon

Has anyone used a Garmin Edge 1000 to plot a route for LeJog or indeed could it be used for this type of longer ride. Im doing LeJog in August 15 and was thinking it may save messing about with paper maps.
Anyone tried this sort of thing?

John

A couple of years ago I rode from Durness to Dover, I plotted the total route into a Satmap GPS, however I also plotted it on a A5 size Phillips Road map, because Sods law will switch in when you want the GPS route most. GPS are ok when they work but batteries fail, sometimes the GPS cannot get a signal. From my experiences with GPS, they seem to take a lunch break during the period from 12AM to 12.30PM Zulu for updating and servicing.

OB1Knobby

Has anyone used a Garmin Edge 1000 to plot a route for LeJog or indeed could it be used for this type of longer ride. Im doing LeJog in August 15 and was thinking it may save messing about with paper maps.
Anyone tried this sort of thing?

John
Two years ago my son in law and myself cycled Jog to Le, we both had Edge 800s. Due to age differences Steve my Son in law would often dissapear and I would catch up with him at the end of the day. Both 800s were worth their weight in gold. We did have paper maps in case of emergency and only used once or twice when we were not confident with the route. We charged the 800s each night and they lasted the following days ride without any problems. If the 1000 is as good as the 800 and it is within budget I would go for it. I found mine great for training as well. In addition for your info there is a new gadget coming out that fixes to your bike like the edge with a display but uses info from a smart phone. I do not know all the details but it may be worth exploring. Good luck with your trip.

Skipper9999

Currently using a Garmin Edge 1000 while doing a tour of Holland . Excellent never looked at a map . Pre planned it with RideWithGPS http://ridewithgps.com/events/Holland-2015-Family . Slight diversion And I just re-routed to that days hotel .

Used Garmin Tour Plus last year for LeJog with no problems but can't speak highly enough of RideWithGPS .

As for battery life it's always lasted the day and if you switch off Bluetooth on the 1000 it greatly improves . Only switching it on when the ride is finished , it then connects to my iPhone and uploads the ride to Garmin and onwards automatically to RideWithGPS ans Other Apps if you wish .

Don't forget it's a better device and better ride with pre planning .

Top Bottom