Garmin Edge 1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beepbeep

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere - I did a search and it didn't come up...

I have a GARMN EDGE 1000 and yesterday decided to update the maps etc and give it a charge up as it hasnt been used since late November 2022.

Looks like the white power button has come away - the white rubber has perished ...I can switch it on with a cotton bud but even with the silicone case it isn't going to water proof.

I have emailed GARMIN but still awaiting a response .. Can this be repaired ? Looks like either a new white seal or complete back to replace.

The device has been working great since I have owned it from new in 2016...Shane to bin it and looking at the prices of a new one. would like to get it repaired:smile:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The same happened to my Edge 1000, I was using the top of a Bic pen to turn it on. Garmin offered discount on a new one but would have still been expensive to buy.
I watched a YouTube video repair using a piece of pencil eraser cut to fit in the hole, a little smear of silicone to prevent water ingress then some insulation tape to make it look better. It has been working perfectly for almost a year now.

B5080536-91B8-490C-8D2C-EBAC3EABA414.jpeg

Last edited:

super_davo

Über Member
I changed my Edge 1000 for a 530 when I saw one on offer (£150) as the battery was struggling on long rides. Worried it would feel like a downgrade but it hasn't at all. There are a number of ways in which the newer lower end model is massively better than the older high end model e.g. much more powerful processor, turn by turn directions that pop up when you need, extra metrics, different league of battery life. I would certainly recommend that over spending £120 on a repair, unless you really need the big screen.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Rather than emailing Garmin, I've always found raising a ticket on support.garmin.com pays dividends.

I agree with @super_davo that spending money on an old model may not be a sound investment. In your position I'd probably try rescuing it with a bodge as suggested by @Spiderweb

albal

Guru
Had same issue a while back pre- brexit.. Both me and my mate have 1000. Found a Dutch guy who sold replacement generic start button. I seem to recall we paid about£95 for 2. Works like a dream since. Obviously times have changed , so unable to say if he,s still trading. I,m now selling the 1000, as have a 1030 now

Top Bottom