Garmin Edge 205 GPS cycle computer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I

iGaz

An example of your ride uploaded to Garmin Connect, you can also use Garmin training centre and download your routes to Google earth,,,

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/32097516

OP
OP
I

iGaz

You can add routes and plot your route. I have never bothered. Buut it doesn't display a full map like satnav, you would need to dig deeper into your pockets for the Edge 705.

l4dva

Guru
but dose it give u directions as you ride?? so I cud put in a destination and it will take me there? or is it just something that records ur route, you can go home download it to your computer and it gives all the ride stats like distance times etc etc etc

You can plot a route on your computer via Google maps and it will give you a breadcrumb trail to follow and beep when you need to turn left or right

I bought one of these last year and i will never go back to a conventional bicycle computer again ... they work brilliantly and you just clip it on and away you go, no fuss ... and the post ride info you get is amazing

The 205 (whilst the basic model) is probably the best bit of cycling related kit i've bought ... just buy it

Simon

OP
OP
I

iGaz

Muddyfox said:
You can plot a route on your computer via Google maps and it will give you a breadcrumb trail to follow and beep when you need to turn left or right

I bought one of these last year and i will never go back to a conventional bicycle computer again ... they work brilliantly and you just clip it on and away you go, no fuss ... and the post ride info you get is amazing

The 205 (whilst the basic model) is probably the best bit of cycling related kit i've bought ... just buy it

Simon

As above, you can make routes using the Garmin training program, or make routes on the Garmin Connect website.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No it's not a sat nav.

l4dva said:
but dose it give u directions as you ride?? so I cud put in a destination and it will take me there? or is it just something that records ur route, you can go home download it to your computer and it gives all the ride stats like distance times etc etc etc

l4dva

Guru
So will this give me directions while cycling, thats what I want to know?? Dosen't matter if its a preloaded route from my computer, I just need to be able to get to places. I've moved to london and I don't have a clue of the roads around here. If I could do routes on my computer to work or other places load them on to this thing it will tell me while riding which way to go???

l4dva

Guru
It sounds good all this stuff, but I reckon it will be more hassle trying to sus out all the route planning web sites downloading uploading etc etc (for me anyways im too impatient when it comes to all this fancy technology) I reckon ill stick to the old fashion methods of navigation and prob get lost loads while im at it... at least ill be forced into clocking up more miles if I don't know where im going.

Anyways good luck with the sale!

SonofSid

Looks a great computer for training iGaz. Can I ask how useful it would be for me doing LEJOG? From the posts it seems I could plan my route and then upload it to the unit to be an audible prompt if I'm so knackered I'm not paying proper attention to the paper map thing. Is that about right? No map on screen - a direction pointer?
And can I also ask about battery life and the charger? How long will a charge last and is it a mains or car charger?
Cheers

OP
OP
I

iGaz

It can be either mains or car charged. All you need is a USB charger for your cigarette lighter socket. Carphone warehouse do these.

Battery life is quoted by Garmin at 12 hours typical use. It was still showing one segment of battery power after 5 and half hours, so I would say realistically about 6-7 hours.

Cycling weekly recently reviewed the Edge 500 which is quoted by Garmin at 18 hours and they only got 12hours runtime, so I think Garmins claims are a bit hopefull!!

Not sure about map uploading as I haven't done this, as I usually make up my ride as I go, I choose a place to go and then meander my way there!!

I bought this just to log my rides, but I wanted cadence and heart rate to help me train for racing hence I dipped into my pockets and bought the Edge 500.

Top Bottom