Garmin Edge 205...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Quick few questions.
I've been thinking about getting one, and i was woundering if i could plan a route on the maps then upload it onto the system, and be able to follow the roads i have picked easily?
Also, if i decided to just go wondering, will it show some of the roads, like A and B roads and some of the side roads or would i need more mapping software?
If the Edge 205 wont do this, is there one about about the £100 mark which will do it?
Cheers

Joe

I'd endorse Mr Paul's comments. By the way, I saw one knocked down to £80at the Brighton branch of 'Bikehut' recently, might be worth some phonecalls.

Only one gripe, the bike mount is a little fragile.....or I'm heavy handed?

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Thanks for that User and Old Walrus. I'll have a look in Halfords next time i pass to see if they have one in for me to mess about with.

Thanks for the help

Joe

There is a problem with these..... they do not use the standard formats that Memory-Mp etc use, so you need to use their software and convert.

To be quite honest I would go for a Geko, Etrex or similar. Cheaper, smaller (Geko) and as useful.

Old Walrus said:
I'd endorse Mr Paul's comments. By the way, I saw one knocked down to £80at the Brighton branch of 'Bikehut' recently, might be worth some phonecalls.

Only one gripe, the bike mount is a little fragile.....or I'm heavy handed?

I just got a 305 today, it came with 2 bike mounts, do they tend to get damaged hence the reason for the spare?

OP
OP
J

Joe24

So if I got a Geko or Etrex I could still upload routes onto it? Can I also put different maps on them and also see other roads with the maps which come with it or not ? Cheers

peterdowning

Veteran
Cunobelin said:
There is a problem with these..... they do not use the standard formats that Memory-Mp etc use, so you need to use their software and convert.

To be quite honest I would go for a Geko, Etrex or similar. Cheaper, smaller (Geko) and as useful.

I broadly agree with Cunobelin.

My experience is using a Geko 205 and an Edge 305 with Memory Map, and various web-based planners.

You can create a Route on Memory Map, right click it, and send it directly to the Edge 305, and use it to navigate. I think it has a limitation as to the number of waypoints on a Route but I've never run out yet.

A Course is different. In Memory Map I create a track (ie. plot/follow the road rather than go point to point for turns), save it as a gpx file then use GPX2CRS to convert it to a Garmin Course. I then import into the Garmin Training Centre and upload it to the Edge. Sounds unwieldy - it is - and track creation for a long route on Memory Map can take time.

I've created courses in BikeRouteToaster which is quicker (if you use Firefox!) as it follows roads automatically, but the downloaded route files aren't recognised by the device and won't import into the Training Centre for upload to the Edge. (Except the Motionbased mbcrs which goes to the device and is usable but won't transfer to Training Centre)) Maybe I'm unlucky as I read good things about it :biggrin:.

And the Virtual Partner always wins!

However, if you tell the Edge to navigate the route AND do the course at the same time - i.e. two separate steps before you set off on your ride - then it will display the Course (road curves and all) along with the waypoint to waypoint line of the Route - assuming you have the correct zoom!

I still print off a map and find the turn warning beeps from the Edge too quiet when rumbling along country lanes so it's not the perfect navigational device.

In fact I started off with a Geko and a Polar 200CAD HRM then bought the Edge 305 as I thought it would do the same job in one. Personally, I still prefer the Geko 205 for navigation - no maps but obvious visual - but no audible - warnings of turns on preplanned/uploaded routes. Handlebars are a bit busy with Edge and Geko all strapped on though :smile:

IMHO the Edge is very basic as a navigational device and relies on a certain level of computer literacy/software to make it work like a satellite navigation device (it's actually GPS not 'satnav' as in how a car satnav works).

However it is great for the metrics of the ride. Downloading the metrics/GPS track into the Training Centre is excellent.

And using the Edge with Motionbased or Memory Map to see where you went, the elevation profile, your heart rate and speed profile plotted against your point on a map is very revealing.

Memory Map, Training Centre and Motionbased can export the track of your ride (e.g. in gpx, kml format) so you can replay it in Google Earth. Now that is cool!

If you are looking for a basic navigator/track recording device and are not interested in heart rates, cadence, training etc. and are prepared to use a web based route planner such as www.bikeroutetoaster.com or pay for Memory Map, Tracklogs etc, to plan and upload your route via an additional cable and are a geek, as Cunobelin says, look at the Geko, Etrex (or SatMap?).

Edge 605/705 looks like it will do the same and give you the metrics too but you only get base maps so may have to buy more detailed maps.

As I see it, cyclists are looking for different things from a GPS/SatNav device to a motorist. Cyclists plan routes as in 'I'd like to go this way via that way and end up back where I started' whereas motorists want to get from from A to B.

It's hard to see how a satnav for cyclists could be created that doesn't rely on the large screen/interface of a pc to plan the route in advance and upload it to the naviation device.

Maybe I'm missing something and there is a magic button to make it all work how we want it to!

I think I need to get out more :smile:

The best advice I was given is that the EDge series are a training aid with GPS.

This function they fulfil well.

Personally I use an Edge 305 for commuting and training, but replace it with a basic Etrex when touring or navigating in new areas.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Thanks for that Peter! Very helpful.
What i am looking for a gps to do is for me to be able to upload routes onto it so i can follow them. Would be nice if it displayed other roads on aswell, but thats not a big need. For me to be able to go on a club ride and save it as i go along, then be able to follow it again.
I think someone has a Garmin Etrex legend that sometimes goes on the club ride. Is there an Etrex which is about £100-£130. And can the Etrex do what i want it to do?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Joe, re the mounts they are susceptible to breaking if you zip tie them hard without checking you have got the shim thickness correct. I did break one when I caught the sticking out plastic thing with my sleeve and it broke off, duck tape was a simple if inelegant stop gap!

Top Bottom