Garmin Edge 500 Cadence and Speed Sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farky

Hi Guys,

I have just bought the above and am having trouble with the speed sensor clearing the magnet once it's all on the chainstay. Is this a common problem? I have a Wilier Izoard with Fulcrum R3's (flat spokes) and as close as I have the speed sensor to the chainstay, the magnet clips it and if I have the magnet on the opposite side spoke, the unit does not detect it.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've seen, although never needed to do, if you put the sensor arm as far up as possible. then this should help. it looks weird but if it works. it works.

Look at the first image in this thread - https://www.cyclechat.net/ - for an example

GrasB

Veteran
I had fun & games getting mine sorted out. Have you aligned & stuck the cadence sensor on yet? I loosely cable tied mine on & then waited until i had everything with the right clearance before sticking it to the crank. The problem I now have on the road bike is that I have to remove the the cadence sensor to take the pedal off.

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

No I haven't stuck the cadence sensor on and in fact, my polar magnet is still on the crank arm and the sensor seems to be picking that up. It's the wheel magnet and speed sensor that's causing me problems in terms of clearence. I've just read in the user manual that the wheel magnet doesn't have to be facing the right way so I might give that a go and also see if my polar magnet fits as that's a lot slimmer and neater.

Any other tips and ideas welcome and thanks!

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

gaz said:
I've seen, although never needed to do, if you put the sensor arm as far up as possible. then this should help. it looks weird but if it works. it works.

Didn't think of that, thanks and if need be, I'll give it a go.

amaferanga

Veteran
You could get some rare earth magnets (for pennies off ebay) and fix one to the spoke using a blob of glue. One of these the size of a 5 pence will be stronger than the Garmin magnet. I actually use these for my cadence sensor as they fit nicely in the pedal spindle recess so no need for unsightly cable ties round the crank.

Top Bottom