Garmin Edge 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Please read fully:

My Garmin Edge 500 has recently broken, the mount broke off the back after 3 years of very reliable operation. Garmin have agree'd to repair/replace this unit under warranty. However, I wish to upgrade and they will not let me pay the difference to get an upgraded refurb unit so I am posting the item up for sale now (to gauge interest before I commit to buying a newer model to be it's successor), you will receive the unit as soon as Garmin return it to me, apparently the turn around time is usually <10 working days and I will be sending it to them priority mail to speed up the process.

To be very clear, the item you will receive will be a freshly repaired and serviced (by Garmin) unit or a freshly serviced and refurbished replacement unit (it is down to Garmin's discretion whether they repair or replace the unit), not the item in it's current state.

It is the Blue/Grey version. Box, manuals, 2x stem/handlebar mounts and o-rings, cables and charger included, but I am keen to keep the GSC-10 sensor and HR strap unless you talk me into including them, but I'd rather just part with the head unit and it's stock accessories.

I am asking for £100 posted (recorded delivery). Based on a quick look at eBay complete listings (that sold) I believe my pricing is fair. Prices ranged from £77 for a dog chewed one with severe marking and a missing usb water seal to £117+£10 p&p good condition head unit with no additional sensors, I am open to discussion though so do feel free to make an offer! Payment expected only when the item is ready to ship to you, i.e. once I get it back from Garmin, but a small deposit to ensure the buyer is serious would be a nice touch!

Thanks for reading the rather long post, I just want to be 100% clear!

I will upload pic's of the actual uni in hand later/tomorrow for illustrative purposes, but remember the unit you will receive will be either fully repaired and serviced or an alternative unit of its equal (the colour will be the same), so not necessarily this exact unit.

nickg

Über Member
If only I could spare the cash. Good luck with the sale.

p1tse

Showing my interest, but be interested what garmin do with it.

I'll like to offer £100 if it came with hrm and cadence
Unit alone new is sub £140, which will obviously be new with warranty

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Showing my interest, but be interested what garmin do with it.

I'll like to offer £100 if it came with hrm and cadence
Unit alone new is sub £140, which will obviously be new with warranty

Garmin will simply replace the back of the unit or replace it with an equivalent unit with a none damaged back, I will upload pics of the current unit later today. Literally, the only issue I have ever had with it, is this one, and it is simply the 2 little lips cracked off of the body (not uncommon with an older unit).

The returned unit from Garmin will be covered by a 90 day warranty on the repair (apparently) and Garmin do not ask for proof of purchase etc on warranty cases, only the serial number which is clearly marked on the back of the unit so you could send it back without any fuss, although I would assist any warranty case where needed if they did decide to ask about it (I have been around here for a long time, and will be around for a lot longer yet). Also, given my unit was 2 years out of warranty and they are still offering to sort it on warranty, mine is being covered under warranty after 36+ month and the official warranty is only 12 month (when something is not covered by warranty the flat rate repair fee is £68). Checking eBay completed (and sold) listings my price seems to be pretty fair, on the lower side of the average, but I could come down a little on the price of just the head unit. With regards the extra sensors, I could include the HR strap at £100, but I would like to keep the GSC-10.

p1tse

Rob3rt thanks for the reply
I'll stick with my original offer for now
If I was to buy the cadence seperate I think I might as well buy the package

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You can get an ant+ cadence sensor new for £16.50 which will work with Robs unit from Decathlon. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Here are some pictures, I have whited out the serial number and added some red arrows showing where the tabs broke off (although this is irrelevant because you will get a unit in full working order, it is just to be clear what the issue is now, such you can be assured it is something very simple and physical to the housing only). There is 1 slight mark on one of the corners, as shown as clearly as possible, again this may be irrelevant as the unit I get back may be a different one, so would not have this little dink! As you can see the unit is in very good condition and is well looked after. The one returned to me by Garmin will be at least of this standard.

Attachments

• IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0150.jpg
    IMAG0150.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0153.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0156.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You can get an ant+ cadence sensor new for £16.50 which will work with Robs unit from Decathlon. :thumbsup:

True, I understand where P1ste is coming from though, I guess it is all hassle getting bits here and there. Basically I am reluctant to part with the cadence sensor because I have more than 1 bike, so when I get my new Garmin, I will now have a sensor on each bike rather than going through loads of cable ties and fiddling about swapping a single sensor between bikes as I do at the moment (it is irritating and a couple of times I got the cable tie through the spokes of the wheel too when in a rush). The HR strap is fair game though and I can include it, it is well used though, I wear it on every ride and the Garmin logo is worn off of the front.

Garz

Squat Member
Also, given my unit was 2 years out of warranty and they are still offering to sort it on warranty, mine is being covered under warranty after 36+ month and the official warranty is only 12 month (when something is not covered by warranty the flat rate repair fee is £68). Checking eBay completed (and sold) listings my price seems to be pretty fair, on the lower side of the average, but I could come down a little on the price of just the head unit. With regards the extra sensors, I could include the HR strap at £100, but I would like to keep the GSC-10.

This is interesting reading... When I thought mine had gone faulty the Garmin team's email response was exactly as you contained in there - 12 months warranty, else sod off. Just interested in how you went around this issue unless I just had a miserable staff member?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom