Garmin Edge 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I keep looking at this and thinking of buying it but, is it worth the price? Anyone got one of these able to tell me more about it? Like the navigation features and route planner etc.

I think its basically the same as the 305 (which I've got). The navigation isn't great its just a track line on a bank map so I wouldn't rely on it but it has opened the doors (so as to speak) to new places :smile: The biggest issue for me is when there are two or more roads in one direction and I can't say for certain which one it is, until I'm half way up it and I sometimes have to backtrack which I don't mind.
The main advantage of the 305 gps to me is the recording of stats, spot speeds, average speeds, gradients, elevations, heart rate, cadence, power (if you also buy a meter) and I believe the 500 also records the temperature. If you value stats yes IMO its worth it but if you intend to use it purely for navigation its not.

Edit: If you get one for creating routes I find ridewithgps the best, its quick and makes useful .tcx files and simplified .gpx route files which the system can handle.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's great for all the stats that one would want in a very neat compact computer.
However.. and it's a big however for me.. there is a flaw with the GPS course route finding/following. When following a pre loaded course/route over 40/50 miles the unit seizes up. It's been well documented on the Garmin forum HERE.
Hopefully there will be a firmware fix in the future from Garmin.

If Garmin can get the courses issue sorted and it would be an awesome piece of kit.

It's great for all the stats that one would want in a very neat compact computer.
However.. and it's a big however for me.. there is a flaw with the GPS course route finding/following. When following a pre loaded course/route over 40/50 miles the unit seizes up. It's been well documented on the Garmin forum HERE.

If Garmin can get the courses issue sorted and it would be an awesome piece of kit.

That's a bummer, if my 305 ever failed I was going to replace it with a 500, In that case I think I'll look for another 305.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's a bummer, if my 305 ever failed I was going to replace it with a 500, In that case I think I'll look for another 305.

I am in the strange situation of having a 205 and 500 on the bike at the same time. The 205 when I need to follow a course & the 500 to collect all the data.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
I have a 500 and love it.
It is rammed with features and info on your ride and the Garmin Connect site is very good and will store all your rides. I guess it depends what you want to get from it.. If just for commuting, then I would say it may be a little ott. I bought mine (well it was a birthday present to me that I paid for) as I wanted more info for my longer rides and the odd sportive etc.
Using it for fitness is great and also very customizable (you can set what data you want on three separate screens). Using this has made me focus on a more constant speed (I have it set to tell me 10 mile lap times).
Probably one of my best buys for my bike :smile:

Oh.. I haven't used the mapping as I have heard that isn't its strongest feature!

Garz

Squat Member

This is true.

I have used it for courses a handful of times and twice it locked up on me. The other times it has worked but could understand how this can annoy people enough to be put off by the device.

I stuck with firmware 2.6 (they are upto 2.8) but am hoping a future update will actually bring proper stability to the unit. For logging stats it is perfect, however whilst I do not follow routes or go out of area often it is nice to be able to rely on the gps for simplistic navigation.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i've started to clear the memory completely before downloading a course to my 500, no problems since doing this. i also leave out way-markers for rides over 50 miles.

Nebulous

Guru
What's Garmin's product development cycle like?

There have been a couple of reports recently of basic 500s without cadence and hrm being sold for £100.

I'd have grabbed one if I could have got in on time, but I'm half wondering if there is something new on the way and these two companies just jumped the gun a bit.

James

Nebulous

Guru
I'm remarkably excited by this and hope it works- Best Buy were selling a clearance Garmin 500 for £99.97 but were refusing to take orders and didn't have any for reserve and collect. Because it was still on the website I kept checking back occasionally, and they must have found more stock becaue I just succeeded in getting an order for home delivery!

Worth trying if you want one - cheapest I have seen by a long way. Quidco also give 7% off so if you are a member you could be looking at less than £93 for it!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm remarkably excited by this and hope it works- Best Buy were selling a clearance Garmin 500 for £99.97 but were refusing to take orders and didn't have any for reserve and collect. Because it was still on the website I kept checking back occasionally, and they must have found more stock becaue I just succeeded in getting an order for home delivery!

Worth trying if you want one - cheapest I have seen by a long way. Quidco also give 7% off so if you are a member you could be looking at less than £93 for it!

f**k me, that's cheap. i got a lot off from evans coz my browser (camino) puts up lower prices and evans always honours the print outs. head office said it's their problem to sort out......but not £93!!!!!

Roadkill

Thanks Nebulous, I just got one for £99.97 at Best Buy link Delivered free on Thursday :smile:

Then got the Cadence and HRM at Amazon link

So the whole deal for under £170!

Top Bottom