Garmin Edge 605 Route Planning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Oh man here we go again;):eek:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15049

...actually if i could get a CHEAP ebay copy of the DVD it might make my GPS life more tolerable....but so far the SD card has been a nightmare. The auto routing, even when set for a bike and to avoid highways etc still fails to select even the most obvious and simple routes that can be seen on the ground in preference to motorways and faster roads, or even worse huge detours off into the nearest big town rather than a simple straightline route to the next waypoint. It does not see the smaller cycle routes at all. It is all but impossible to see the bigge rpicture clearly on this thing, I 100% need to use a paper map first. I am persevering on this learning curve, but I am unable to trust all this techno babble yet...if ever.

dodgy

charlie999 said:
Ok correct me if I'm wrong. The Training centre software is just for analysing your rides and sending history and courses to and from the Edge.

The Mapsource software (which I have only just downloaded can you believe it penny had not dropped) is for planning the course in the first place, deciding which route to take etc.

The City Navigator DVD is basically the maps that are installed on your system that Training Centre & Mapsourse use instead of the bog standard and basic basemaps. How am I so far?
Yep, all spot on.
In readyness for the arrival of my new maps from far overseas I have been playing with the newly found Mapsourse software. I take it you use the route tool to merrily click away along the roads and then watch the route grow. Do you have to follow the roads at tighter intervals when the bends are there or will it follow them naturally like mapmyride does in the autorouting facility?

Charlie

Mapsource has autorouting when coupled with an appropriate mapping product, City Navigator DVD 2008 Europe does have this autorouting.

(Just read BFTB comment after yours).

As long as you 'tell' the Edge and Mapsource that you are a cyclist (select the bike option in setup) you will not ever ever ever ever (repeat a trillion times) be sent down onto a motorway. If your Edge sends you down a motorway having installed City Navigator and configured as a cyclist, I will nail my left bollock to a piece of 4 by 2 and leave it there for the rest of my life.

Good luck,

Dave.

OP
OP
C

charlie999

Dave,

Fantastic thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I will shut up now and just get on with it I think!

It dont make me a bad person but a small part of me is hoping I get sent down the M54 which is right by where I live!!!! LOL!!!

Regards Charlie

Top Bottom