Garmin Edge 605 Route Planning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

charlie999

Hi,

Posted this on another thread but only had one reply. Just in case anyone is subscribing to this thread and you can help. Enough waffle here goes!!!

"Hi,

I have a Garmin edge and use mapmyride.com to plan routes and then download them so I can upload to my Edge 605. The routes seem very accurate and very very easy to do.

My question is what file format is the best to use crs or tcx or even a gpx file? I have been using a tcx file. If my route has water stops on it they dont appear on the garmin and when you set up a field to show "Distance to destination" it stays blank the entire journey. There is another field on the route page I think that says "Distance to Go" but this does not seem to be a field that you can set up on other pages. I want the map page to show two fields one with distance to water stops and one distance to destinaation.

Any ideas?"

Charlie

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
dodgy said:
Hi bollo,

Reading your post above I would hazard a guess that you're using Garmin's Topo map? That might explain the poor experience you're having with autorouting. To fully exploit the autorouting capabilities of the Garmin Edge 605 and 705, you need Garmin City Navigator (Europe) 2008. Garmin's Topo map is neither one thing nor the other, it doesn't come anywhere close to matching an OS map (as you've already said) and it doesn't carry the detail required for address searching and autorouting that City Navigator 2008 has (be careful, older versions of City Navigator lack autorouting, too).

Dave.

Hi D,

You're right, I am using the topo maps. After reading your post I went away and had another play with some interesting results. Just setting the routing to 'Bicycle' will still direct you on motorways. ALSO setting the 'Avoid major roads' options will avoid motorways except of a stretch of the M3 near Winchester under certain circumstances. I'm guessing this is either some sort of error in the tagging of this section of the M3 or the routing algorithm just can't cope with its 'Berlin Wall' nature. The M3 drops to two lanes at this point (between J8 and J9) so that might explain it. My big gripe with the 705 here is that the documentation is shocking and doesn't give any real indication of the effect of either the 'Bicycle' or the 'Avoid major roads' option. Is an 'A' road major? Is a dual carriageway major but single carriageway minor. The 'manual' doesn't say.

I think you've pegged the topo maps, they're certainly not up to off-road navigation. I only got them because I wanted a view of possible gradients on the route. I can imagine someone who'd bought them for mountain-biking or general hiking would be a bit pissed off. There's no indication of rights-of-way and the 'paths' data is sketchy at best - more of this later. However, my version of the topo maps (V2 I think) DOES support full autorouting and address searches - honest!

That's the techy stuff - now my gripe against the general concept of autorouting for cycling. The classification of a road is only ever a rough guide to its suitability for cycling, and there's no way the basic rules used by the route search algorithms can get this. Here's a real example.....

My occasional 'full' commute takes me from Winchester through a place called Alresford. There are three basic route choices.
(a) Along the A31 - a fast dual carriageway
(B) Along the B3047 - a narrow single lane road bordered by high hedgerows
(c) Along NCN23 on an unclassified open road alongside the river Arle.

Option (a) is ok, but not a huge amount of fun. The road has reasonable sightlines so would be safe enough to ride despite the high traffic speeds.
My mate refers to Option (B) as the 'road of death' and he travels along it in a Mondeo! High speeds, tight bends and little passing space for cars. I've done it once on a bike - never again.
Option (c) is beautiful - makes you glad to be alive and on a bike.

Suppose I choose to let the 705 lead the way from my house. If I uncheck the 'Avoid Major Roads' option, it'll take me along Option (a). If I check this option (the choice that most cyclists would use), it picks (B). Option (c) is a no go, as the Garmin Topo Map has not captured the section of NCN 23 path/bike-track under the M3 J9 roundabout and on to Easton.

You can see from this example that the autorouting reverses the order that I'd choose for these routes. I can appreciate that it might be more suitable for different areas (for example it works quite well around my parents in Lincs, as road classification pretty much ties in with how busy/fast/safe any road is) but around here, local knowledge and/or research is usually the best guide.

I don't post often, but when I do...............:smile:

dodgy

Bollo, I'm confident you wouldn't have any of that bad routing if you had City Navigator 2008. When I allow my unit to autoroute me, it takes me away from all major roads and will even prefer to route me via residential areas than put me on an 'A' road. I also have Garmin Topo GB v2 and though you're right that it has autorouting, it simply does not have the knowledge of the smaller roads. If I switch my 705 to the Topo map and attempt to autoroute somewhere, the 705 will simply say "join the A540" but won't tell me how to get there, this is because the Topo maps have rudimentary detail on non arterial routes. Sorry to say that there is a dearth of information at the retailer over map choice and it often means that customers end up buying the wrong map...

Dave.

Dodgy, I see on your website you say to get the DVD not micro-SD card - if I've got a card reader on my PC, could I use that to access it? And do I really need to access it on my PC, if I use mapmyride or similar to create the route in the first place?

dodgy

Stick on a Giant said:
Dodgy, I see on your website you say to get the DVD not micro-SD card - if I've got a card reader on my PC, could I use that to access it? And do I really need to access it on my PC, if I use mapmyride or similar to create the route in the first place?

Hi,

You won't be able to access the SD card mapping from your PC. Being able to use the Garmin mapping on the PC is an advantage because it's a much more elegant solution than desiging routes on bikeroutetoaster et al and putting them on your Edge. But yes, if you use mmr or similar, you can use the SD card mapping just fine.

Dave.

Cheers Dave, any thoughts/knowledge about using the Memory Maps CDs for route planning? I think if I buy one 'real' map, I can borrow someone else's to get the rest of the country! How would that transfer over on to the 705 with Navigator loaded?
I'm thinking of getting the 705 but as you can probably tell, I don't really know what questions to ask, so sorry if they seem really dumb!

dodgy

No problem about the questions!

Memory Map is a great product, however, it isn't fully compatible with the Edge 705 or 605. You can still design a route on MM and put it on your Edge (you'll have to do it manually as I don't think MM properly 'talks' to the Edge yet), but you won't be able to put the MM maps on your Edge.

I always tell people that if they are going to buy an Edge 705, by far the most formidable package is the Edge 705 with City Navigator 2008 DVD version NOT the SD card version of City Navigator.

Desiging routes on the PC with City Navigator 2008 is an abolute breeze, I know you can use MapMyRide and bikeroutetoaster (and many many others), but once you've used City Nav 2008 on Mapsource, you won't go back.

Dave.

OP
OP
C

charlie999

Dodgy,

City Navigator 2008 DVD version. Does this install maps onto the Garmin training centre or does it put a totally new interface on?

Charlie

dodgy

Yes, if you install City Nav on your PC, you will be able to use the mapping in Training Centre and in Mapsource.

Dave.

OP
OP
C

charlie999

OK one last question before I spend some money.

I have located "GARMIN MAPSOURCE CITY NAVIGATOR EUROPE v.9 DVD" on Ebay and it looks to be the right money. When you look at compatible products it does not list the Edge 605 or the 705 come to that. When I go to the garmin home page it lists some Citiy navigator DVD's for the Edge 605 but not the Europe one. I think it lists Switzerland maps as being OK. Is this just a typo or is there a difference?

The other point is will I be able to plan a route in detal putting in water stops and all that jaz then upload it to my Edge 605 with ease and accuracy?

Forgive me if this has been answered but its a lot of money and I want the water stops and such like to be able to be added accurately and with ease.

I am doing a charity bike ride next year you see of 100 miles and I want to plan the route with all the drinks stops so I can set up the Edge 605 to display miles to go to each stop and the final stop.

Regards Charlie

dodgy

charlie999 said:
Dodgy,

Do you get the Distance to Destination & Time to Destination field working with the DVD version?

The field on the 705? Yes, I get told how far and the ETA to destination.

Dave.

dodgy

charlie999 said:
OK one last question before I spend some money.

I have located "GARMIN MAPSOURCE CITY NAVIGATOR EUROPE v.9 DVD" on Ebay and it looks to be the right money. When you look at compatible products it does not list the Edge 605 or the 705 come to that. When I go to the garmin home page it lists some Citiy navigator DVD's for the Edge 605 but not the Europe one. I think it lists Switzerland maps as being OK. Is this just a typo or is there a difference?

Put it this way, my copy of the same title in bold above works on my 705. I noticed a few copies of it sold for about £25 on ebay recently, that's very cheap, possibly copies.

The other point is will I be able to plan a route in detal putting in water stops and all that jaz then upload it to my Edge 605 with ease and accuracy?

Yes you will be able to do that.
Forgive me if this has been answered but its a lot of money and I want the water stops and such like to be able to be added accurately and with ease.
Quite understandable, I've said it before and will do so again now, there's simply not enough information at the retailer level to give people the confidence to buy the right maps. It seems Garmin are relying on Internet forums to do that job for them.
I am doing a charity bike ride next year you see of 100 miles and I want to plan the route with all the drinks stops so I can set up the Edge 605 to display miles to go to each stop and the final stop.

Regards Charlie

Best of luck :?:

Dave.

OP
OP
C

charlie999

Dave,

Thanks for all your help you seems like you know what your on about.

I have ordered it and await its arrival now with anticipation!

All I have to do then is sell the maps I bought on the SD card. I know I will lose a bit selling on ebay but thats life!!

I will report back when all is running.

Again thanks

Charlie

OP
OP
C

charlie999

Ok correct me if I'm wrong. The Training centre software is just for analysing your rides and sending history and courses to and from the Edge.

The Mapsource software (which I have only just downloaded can you believe it penny had not dropped) is for planning the course in the first place, deciding which route to take etc.

The City Navigator DVD is basically the maps that are installed on your system that Training Centre & Mapsourse use instead of the bog standard and basic basemaps. How am I so far?

In readyness for the arrival of my new maps from far overseas I have been playing with the newly found Mapsourse software. I take it you use the route tool to merrily click away along the roads and then watch the route grow. Do you have to follow the roads at tighter intervals when the bends are there or will it follow them naturally like mapmyride does in the autorouting facility?

Charlie

Top Bottom