Garmin Edge 800 V iphone apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ady138

Hi, I have a question about the Garmin Edge 800 .

I am contemplating whether to buy the Garmin Edge 800 but was wondering if I brought a good Iphone bike handlebar mount does Endomondo (or another app) do the same thing. Ie Once I have downloaded a route can I follow it in the same way that the Edge shows you the route (Tomtom style)

I already have a Polar heart rate monitor and I realize that Endomondo doesn't have the virtual partner function.

So I guess my question really is: Is the Garmin Edge 800 worth the money or can the iphone and the variety of cycling apps available match it. If so which one

Ady

rb58

Enigma
Hello Ady.
It depends on how long your rides are going to be. GPS on the iPhone is a battery eater, so anything more than a couple of hours and you'll have a flat battery. Battery life on the Edge 800 is about 15 hours (and on my 705 it really is 15 hours). I can't comment on the iPhone apps, but I'm sure others will. As my rides have got longer and longer I've found the battery life on the Edge series not long enough either, so I now also have a eTrex which takes AA batteries.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Ady138

Ady138

Hello Ady.
It depends on how long your rides are going to be. GPS on the iPhone is a battery eater, so anything more than a couple of hours and you'll have a flat battery. Battery life on the Edge 800 is about 15 hours (and on my 705 it really is 15 hours). I can't comment on the iPhone apps, but I'm sure others will. As my rides have got longer and longer I've found the battery life on the Edge series not long enough either, so I now also have a eTrex which takes AA batteries.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your reply: My rides are currently 2 to 3 hours covering 30 to 40 miles but my challenge this year is to complete a 100 mile loop hence buying a device that can handle that time on the road and confidently show me the way.

Top Bottom