Garmin edge 800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jc101

Regular
Hi, looking at getting one of these. Maybe a stupid question but if I get the city navigator maps, can I create a route on laptop, transfer to garmin then will it show route and where I am and where I need to go.

fatblokish

Guru

Gary E

Veteran
Yes to all of the above.
You need to use something like bikeroutetoaster.com to create the route.
Save it to your laptop as a GPX file.
Then connect your Edge and drop the new route into Garmin/New files folder on the Edge.
Next time you turn your Edge on it'll be in the COURSES menu.
IMPORTANT - If you want turn by turn navigation during your ride you have to enable this BEFORE you select GO.
To do this:
----------Go to COURSES from the MENU screen.
----------Select the course that you've just made.
----------Select the Spanner Icon.
----------Look for TURN GUIDANCE and turn it on.
----------Once you've done this you can return to the COURSES menu and select GO.
Unfortunately the 800 defaults the Turn Guidance to off for each new route and once you've started the route it's too late to change it, so remember this step!!

OP
OP
J

Jc101

Regular
Thanks, I done a route using bikeroutetoaster and uploaded. When I look at route on garmin it doesn't show street names etc just a red line. When I zoom in it just goes green. Any suggestions? That's why I thought I needed city navigator as pictures on line look more like sat nav

Gary E

Veteran
Hmmm That's an odd one.
I have City Navigator maps and I get street names, it does depend on the zoom setting though. As you zoom out the street names disappear (otherwise they'd fill the screen). Try playing with the zoom again.
Have you tried it in different locations? I suppose it could just be that the maps don't have some of the street names in your area.
I have to say though I've not come accross this problem.

OP
OP
J

Jc101

Regular
Can you do street level directions with the maps that come on it without the city navigator add on?

Top Bottom