Garmin Edge 830(or 530?) Vs Wahoo Elemnt Roam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razabbs

Morning all!

I've decided recently I'd like to get myself a cycling computer so here I am asking for opinions of those who have used them in the past. Over the last 4 years I've done around 4000 miles cycling and honestly never used anything other than my phone with Strava, until this year where I bought a Garmin smartwatch and used that (linked to Strava) instead.

I generally don't do many sportive but I definitely want to do more, and as a result I generally go out and know my route before I leave, often going for a maximum of a 30, maybe 40 mile loop, ended where I started. Again I'd like to do more One way routes and then get the train back to explore further.

My rides are generally a max of 2 hours(watch battery covers this comfortably) but I would like the option to complete more 100+ mile sportives which in the past has taken me around 7 hours moving time.

While there is a big difference in price, I can get 40% off Garmin with work, and as a result an Edge 830 would cost me £262 for just the unit and mounts or £322 with the sensors (Any opinions on the speed and cadence sensors?) The Wahoo Elemnt Roam is currently discounted from £299 to £220, but I'm happy to pay the extra if the Garmin is better suited to my needs.

Essentially I'm asking if you had a Garmin Smartwatch already, would it make sense to stick with a Garmin Cycling computer? I'm sure the answer is yes...

Thanks!

I don't compete or anything like that so any weight difference is irrelevant and my rides generally aren't anywhere near 'Max Effort'.

I do just feel like sticking with one system would make the most sense, especially as I often wear my Garmin watch for walks, sports and Treadmill interval training

mustang1

Legendary Member
I do not know about those specific models but i have used garmin touring plus, garmin 530, wahoo elemnt bolt.

Out of all of them, i prefer the wahoo because, although it has less functions and a black and white screen, it is more intuitive to use. I find the Garmin has a menu which has items where i dont expect them to be. Due to lack of use of the garmin, i never got accustomed to it.

But thats just me and many people love their garmins. I will still use my 530 once in a while but i usually roll with my wahoo.

si_c

Guru
Personnally, Yes.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 35 and a couple of Edge units. Having everything in Garmin connect and just using the one app makes it easier for me. Plus I set up things like live track on one and they work on the others without messing around. I also prefer the mapping system on the Garmin units, but that's personal preference.

The sensors is a a bit a of a mixed bag, you don't need them as you should be able to (depending on which watch you have) transmit your HR to the cycling computer without needing an HR strap and the computer will work quite happily without a speed or cadence sensor, but having them does make life a little easier. For example I usually listen to music from my phone and I can't use the watch to skip tracks for example when broadcasting HR and you do get a more accurate picture of your speed when in poor-GPS areas.

si_c

Guru
I do not know about those specific models but i have used garmin touring plus, garmin 530, wahoo elemnt bolt.

Out of all of them, i prefer the wahoo because, although it has less functions and a black and white screen, it is more intuitive to use. I find the Garmin has a menu which has items where i dont expect them to be. Due to lack of use of the garmin, i never got accustomed to it.

But thats just me and many people love their garmins. I will still use my 530 once in a while but i usually roll with my wahoo.

I think that's the crux of it, whichever you get you will prefer as that's what you have. I don't think you can go wrong with either really.

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

Thank you, all.
I think I'll go for the Garmin. If we're sort of splitting hairs between the two then I'm happy to go with the Garmin in order to have everything together. 830 Ordered in the next few minutes; it would be perfect it arrives before Lincoln Petit Grand Prix this Sunday!

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Thank you, all.
I think I'll go for the Garmin. If we're sort of splitting hairs between the two then I'm happy to go with the Garmin in order to have everything together. 830 Ordered in the next few minutes; it would be perfect it arrives before Lincoln Petit Grand Prix this Sunday!

I've got an 820 and a 1030+ I think the touchscreen is really nice, but both work really well and the 830 is essentially a smaller 1030+. I don't think you can go wrong really. The best reason to go for the 530 would be if you regularly ride in cold weather with gloves and use the device a lot when riding.

If you plan to use it mostly for showing speed/distance/calories burnt which is my primary use during a ride, then any of them are great. Keep in mind though that both of them can use the external battery pack garmin produce which allows you to extend range significantly if required.

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

This is essentially what I'm trying to decide. I don't do much cycling in rain but I do try and get out in winter when it's dry(wearing gloves) but I think I'm gonna go for the 830. I don't expect to do a huge amount of touching during riding. Just looking at navigation and that'll be about it.

si_c

Guru
This is essentially what I'm trying to decide. I don't do much cycling in rain but I do try and get out in winter when it's dry(wearing gloves) but I think I'll go for the 830.

Yeah you'll be fine, I used the 820 which has a dreadful touch screen (think pre-smartphone quality) when commuting/leisure riding in winter for a long time, it was absolutely fine just harder to use than summer. The new generation units are really good and work well.

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

Slight diversion if I may....
I have a 530. It does a lot more than I need but then every model does that.
I use it for mapping and following routes when I'm in unknown areas.
The 530 does this well, but the screen is sometimes a bit hard to read because it is just at the distance where I need glasses for less than good light.
Does the 830/1030 have a significantly bigger map display, or does it just show more of the map at the same size?

I can't speak for the zooming of the map, but the screen size is identical.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
1030 is a size up. 830 and 530 are identically sized.
According to DC Rainmaker's review, key differences…
"– Edge 830 has a touchscreen (thankfully different than the older Edge 820 touchscreen)
– Edge 830 can do address-specific routing, whereas on the Edge 530 you can’t enter a street address
– Edge 830 has searchable points of interest database, for finding food/monuments/hotels/etc…
– Edge 830 has four less buttons than the 530, since it’s a touch screen (and also has some slight differences in user interface, since you can touch it – most easily seen in the mapping pages)".

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Thanks. I hadn't seen that. very informative.

I have looked at these. The 1030 has loads of features that I don't want - nutrition, points of interest, performance data etc are of no use at all. But I do find the Climbpro feature very good indeed. I wouldn't like to be without that.

Really I need to find somewhere to do a full comparison; online reviews are very handy but as we all use these things in out own way I'd like a proper test ride of both, but they are hard to find. Could always buy off Amazon and send one back!!!
Edge Explore 2 has ClimbPro.

Top Bottom