garmin edge again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahpink

Hi does anyone know if its possible to do a previous saved ride in history or one you've downloaded without it insisting you start at the start point ie can you just follow it from your current directions without it telling you do a u turn back to the start again. hope this makes sense lol

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Which model? With the 500 you can create a course from a previous ride or plan and download courses to it. It won't insist you start from the start point it will just tell you of you are on or off course and estimate time of arrival. However this model doesn't do full mapping only breadcrumb trails. I found my way around Vienna using this feature though so its definitely good enough if you are prepared to use your initiative to keep yourself on course.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hmm sorry can't help with this. I thought you were looking to buy a unit not find out how to work yours. Sorry :laugh:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Sarah
No guarantees but I "think" this will work:
Transfer the track/route into Mapsource, then you can "cut" it up (Scissor icon) then highlight the bits you don't want and delete them. Finally highlight the bit you do want, save it with a new name, then send it to the Garmin.

yello

I can't help either, sorry. But I find it odd. On the 305, you can join the track anywhere, the unit doesn't complain at all. I guess that's the added functionality of the 705 coming into play.

There must be a reason, and a simpler way of overriding that than having to hack up the plot.

rh100

I've been trying out my new Garmin Dakota, I had similar problems, as when I created the start point it was off by a few meters in the wrong direction down my street. However, when I got closer to the next waypoint it just started pointing to that instead.

I realise these are different devices but I'm wondering if yours would do something similar.

You would think that there would be an option to either select nearest waypoint or just select next waypoint.

jimboalee

Garmin 605.

Ask to navigate a 'Saved Ride'.
The Garmin bleeps to say its plotted the route.

Toggle to map display.
Zoom out to find the route.
Ride towards any part of it and instructions will start when the cursor is near or on the route.

I've never had a problem.

OP
OP
sarahpink

sarahpink

^thanks for replies. jim will try that one. does anyone know of any site or link that has some hints or tips on how to work the blimming thing lol, the manual is useless and i wont to know how to work it properly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
sarahpink said:
^thanks for replies. jim will try that one. does anyone know of any site or link that has some hints or tips on how to work the blimming thing lol, the manual is useless and i wont to know how to work it properly.

You need to play with it....i.e.use it..........:shy:

There is no idiot's guide.......... just press start and ride...:biggrin::biggrin: Press stop at end of ride then press RESET - hold LAP down until the unit saves the ride.... then upload it once you have had a wash.. ? :ohmy:

I had some great ride stats from a similar ride I did earlier in the year.... HR rate climbing was 10 BMP lower, speed was same if not faster....etc... just upload the data and check routes......

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you are fretting about it, then you need to sort out riding, not data... I use my Edge very infrequently compared to my daily rides.......

The Edge data is most useful on a specific training ride....

Norry1

Legendary Member
If you are fretting about it, then you need to sort out riding, not data... I use my Edge very infrequently compared to my daily rides.......

The Edge data is most useful on a specific training ride....

Sarah - did you sort it out? I have a similar problem - I've worked out how to use as a normal sat nav, and that is great. Next I worked out how to import rides as .GPX files, also great.

However, when I tried to follow a test route I imported (quick loop from my house) it kept telling me to go to the end. Any ideas?

Martin

Top Bottom