Garmin edge elevation data?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Using an edge 705. i've just noticed today a HUGE irregularity with the elevation data.

At work today my said elevation was -35 feet. and when i got home it was 220ft.
On my tuesday commute, work elevation = 307ft and when i got home it was 270ft.

My total gain and loss seam to be consistent but the starting and ending points don't :S

Have u downloaded all available update form the connect website?. I had similar problems and this sorted it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New user myself - had it switched on inside the home with no GPS lock, whilst freezing outside (high pressure) - did you have a good lock before setting off ?

Dave5N

Über Member
Basically it's bollocks. According to the 705 My house goes up and down more than a proverbial *****'e proverbial ******s.

It's ok for fun, but many a loop ride seems to finish 20' or 30' lower than it started.

Perhaps the Earth is shrinking? Global warming causing it to evaporate?

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
did some digging and it's because it uses a Barometric altimeter, the air pressure is changing with different weather etc.. and that why my gain and loss is always similar.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Yep, I've got an Oregon 300 with barometric pressure and I'm currently sitting at my desk 400metres below sea level (and I'm right by the coast!)

gavintc

Guru
Yes, the 705 is not reliable as a height measuring instrument. I have noted when crossing alpine passes that relying on the indicated height can lead to significant disappointment when you find that you still have 100 m more climbing to go. It might not seem a lot, but when you have worked hard for an hour, counting down the meters, it pisses you off somewhat.

Equally, I have compared height gained in a cafe stop with other 705 users and our heights gained have been different despite being in the same group all day.

Top Bottom