Garmin Edge Freezing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
I having a few random and intermittent issues with my 800. Last week it entirely froze during a ride but was ok after restarting it, although I lost 6 miles :cursing:

A few times since then the timer intermittently pauses for 3-4 secs before jumping ahead to where it should be. During that 3-4 secs the until is frozen, and doesn't seem to record the distance travelled during that time. I did a 51.5 mile route today when it misbehaved and I lost about 0.8 of a mile in distance.

I'm not using the GSC-10 and it in areas where I'd normally get good GPS coverage.
I'll contact Garmin shortly but thought I'd also ask here to see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue?

Last edited:
Is there a firmware update yet, my 500 updated last week and seems faster when connecting to PC now

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If it is freezing whilst you are following a pre-planned and loaded route or a course, then it's a well known and documented problem of the Garmin 500 that Garmin have refused to fix. Check out the number of threads about the subject on the Garmin forums.

If it's freezing whilst you are only recording a ride, then that's a different matter.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
It's doing it on a normal ride without following a course. I'll try that tip to delete old activities as I rarely do that so might do the trick.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My 500 hasn't had any problems yet, only issue was the length of time it took for the PC to connect to it, sometimes over a minute, but the latest firmware seems to have fixed that issue.

Yup that was always a problem.
I don't update the firmware everytime as there's really no need, howebver, I may do this time.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bit of advice, don't update firmware when it comes out. Let a few others find the problems.

Garmin made a huge cock up with one of the 705 firmwares, so bad they deleted it, and told everyone to role back till the next one was out. It basically messed up the GPS and the cadence/speed sensor, so would lose signal easily, and also think you had stopped pedalling when you went under trees. Fortunately the old firmware was OK as was the update in the end.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Still acting up after deleting all activities!

Factory reset later.

If it is freezing whilst you are following a pre-planned and loaded route or a course, then it's a well known and documented problem of the Garmin 500 that Garmin have refused to fix. Check out the number of threads about the subject on the Garmin forums.

If it's freezing whilst you are only recording a ride, then that's a different matter.

Crap - that is what my new edge 500 is doing! :sad:

Yup, mine too.
As I said, check out the threads about it on the Garmin forums.
It's one of the reasons I bought a 200, use that for routes and courses and the 500 just for recording rides.
Luckily I still have my old edge 200, so will hang on to it. I did find that it continued to record the ride, it was just a case it didn't refresh the screen or work out where I was for an absolute age but it seemed to only happen if I went off course - in this case because I was on a road bike and garmin connect had routed me down a no through road which there was no way I was doing - the other end which I subsequently cycled would have been difficult enough to have done on a mountain bike with the state of it at the moment!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is this issue on the 510 as well or just 500?

Have no idea.
Have a check of the Garmin forums to see what issues there may be with the 510.

As good as Garmin products can be and as good as their customer service is. They severely let themselves down by beta testing new products on the paying public.

Top Bottom