Garmin Edge functional overseas ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brommieinkorea

I have an Edge 840. I don't usually use it to navigate, rather its a truly wireless cyclocomputer. It is easily shared amongst the Bromptons. Since car-bound gps units sometimes fail to function outside of the geographical area of their base map, will an Edge work for me overseas. By overseas I mean Japan. The unit in question came from the USA and hasn't even crossed into Canada. Also, if it won't work , is it possible to download new base maps etc ?

your US garmin covers

1716233203057.png

For Europe, Australia etc you can just go to their site, but I think you can also get them for free.

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/169655

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you just want to use it for record rides, not navigating, it will work just fine. It will display you a rather crappy approximate base map I think (not sure)

If you need maps for navigation connect the device to a PC with a USB cable, start Garmin Express and it will give you options for downloading maps. Be aware that it can take many hours to do this (best left overnight)

Disclaimer: I've never owned an 840 but have owned several other Edge models and the above is true for them.

OP
OP
brommieinkorea

brommieinkorea

If you just want to use it for record rides, not navigating, it will work just fine. It will display you a rather crappy approximate base map I think (not sure)

If you need maps for navigation connect the device to a PC with a USB cable, start Garmin Express and it will give you options for downloading maps. Be aware that it can take many hours to do this (best left overnight)

Disclaimer: I've never owned an 840 but have owned several other Edge models and the above is true for them.

Oops Edge 830 is the one. But thanks for the info, I navigate by paper maps and Google , so the map (which is never on) is just window dressing.

steverob

Guru
If I remember correctly from when I took my Edge 520 to the States a few years ago, the default base map for out-of-region basically showed the coastlines and some major highways (e.g. the ones you probably wouldn't be allowed to cycle on anyway) and that's about it. But I still used it to record my rides without any issue.

But you can download maps for free if you're willing to play around with the files on the device itself. Go to https://download.bbbike.org/osm/, either choose one of their pre-prepared maps, or click on the "select your own region" to get one you can customise the size and shape of. Select the format as "Garmin Cycle (Latin 1)" (others will also work, but I've found this to be the most similar to the maps already on the device) and you'll end up with a file called something like gmapsupp.img. Plug your Garmin into a USB port on your PC and look through the files for either this name or possibly gmapbmap.img and replace it with your downloaded file, renaming it if needed (back up the original first to be sure though). Restart the device and your new map should load.

OP
OP
brommieinkorea

brommieinkorea

Looks like the edge 830 only has free maps for the region in which it was purchased so if you did want other regions (which it seems that you don't) you'd have to pay. See
https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=1sYQRWxUh55jMyl1pGo2Z6

Thanks for that link. It does look like I'll just leave the Edge at home and install a cheap speed/distance only cyclocomputer that uses cr2032 batteries and have one less thing to worry about charging etc..

OP
OP
brommieinkorea

brommieinkorea

I guess related to this. Are there gps based cyclocompters that don't have maps and are just speed/distance/time (I know there are but...) are any of them any good ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Use Strava on your phone, or I now use a smart watch which uploads via my phone.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As @I like Skol says - use your phone. Or, indeed just take your Garmin. It won't exactly take up much space in your suitcase. It will work OK - except for navigation features because it won't have any local maps but it will still record stuff OK.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
As @I like Skol says - use your phone. Or, indeed just take your Garmin. It won't exactly take up much space in your suitcase. It will work OK - except for navigation features because it won't have any local maps but it will still record stuff OK.
absolutely this - the GPS and maps are independent, so all your speed distance and where you have been etc will be recorded by the head unit alone, irrespective of the fact that you cant navigate by an inbuilt map. I've done this when hiring bikes abroad before I downloaded open maps onto my ancient garmin. you dont even need to take / use the speed sensor unit. Lo and behold when you upload it to strava etc your trace appears on strava's map.

I guess related to this. Are there gps based cyclocompters that don't have maps and are just speed/distance/time (I know there are but...) are any of them any good ?
Yes your existing Garmin 830 with no maps loaded. :laugh:

si_c

Guru
If you are not planning on using the device for navigation purposes then it'll work perfectly for your needs out of the box. It doesn't look as though Garmin have maps available for the 830 in Japan unfortunately anyway, but you can install the free Openstreetmaps for Japan.

Details can be found here.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
OP doesn't want to do routing or navigation

Well his Garmin will just record his rides as it normally would. It relies on global satellites not maps as everyone else is banging on about. He won't have base maps, but could navigate using it if he needed to. Equally he could just use his smart phone but may be subject to roaming charges although he could pre download Google maps for the area he is visiting, but then he could do that on the Garmin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom