Garmin Edge Heart Rate Zones, What Do They Mean ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
jimboalee said:
Here's my knowledge on HR zones.

1. 50 - 60% MHR = Moderate Aerobic zone.

2. 60 - 70% MHR = Weight Management zone.

3. 70 - 80% MHR = Aerobic Fitness zone.

4. 80 - 90% MHR = Peak Aerobic Peformance zone.

5. >90% LT zone.

Thanks Jim

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Pretty much spent most of today in the low zone 3, Garmin gives me a zonal average of 2.7 and a max of 5.6.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
gb155 said:
Pretty much spent most of today in the low zone 3, Garmin gives me a zonal average of 2.7 and a max of 5.6.

I'd ignore that zonal average, it could, for example (of the extreme's) be the by product of equal parts being at RHR and MHR, hence its useless. Thats if its taking average using a typical method rather than some bespoke algorithm which isnt actually an average.

If the garmin gives access to "time in zone" (which it should for that price) this is the key stat. For example if you aim for something like 60 mins in zone 4 and the time in zone is say 53 mins. Then you did a decent job (bearing in mind some time will have been spent ramping up to that zone), now you could check the neighbouring zone times. How much time did you spend in the zone directly above and below your target zone?

Also thanks for your feedback on the Garmin, mapping would be nice, but I'm looking more for a training tool rather than a touring device. As far as I know you can still put routes into the 500 but it wont provide full maps, just feed you breadcrumbs, this is good enough for me.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Rob3rt said:
I'd ignore that zonal average, it could, for example (of the extreme's) be the by product of equal parts being at RHR and MHR, hence its useless. Thats if its taking average using a typical method rather than some bespoke algorithm which isnt actually an average.

If the garmin gives access to "time in zone" (which it should for that price) this is the key stat. For example if you aim for something like 60 mins in zone 4 and the time in zone is say 53 mins. Then you did a decent job (bearing in mins some time will have been spent ramping up to that zone), now you could check the neighbouring zone times. How much time did you spend in the zone directly above and below your target zone?

Also thanks for your feedback on the Garmin, mapping would be nice, but I'm looking more for a training tool rather than a touring device. As far as I know you can still put routes into the 500 but it wont provide full maps, just feed you breadcrumbs, this is good enough for me.

Thanks for info, It makes a little more sense when you look at it that way.

Im not sure that Garmin connect has a time in zone figure but I know that training peaks does and I believe Garmin training center does too, so I will have a look this evening and see what the score is.

With regard to Garmin if you not looking for the mapping side I would say go with the 500, In all fairness a 500 would be enough for me but I wanted the "what if" option of the maps just incase I ever needed it, be it the 705 or 500 I just couldnt live without my Garmin now.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Ok totals from this morning's 16 mile ride are:

Zone 1: 2.51

Zone 2: 17.18

Zone 3: 33.35

Zone 4: 16.46

Zone 5: 0.18

Sooooooooo, is this good or bad ???

Thanks in advance.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Its good from where im standing. You spent the majority of your time split between health (zone 1 and 2) and fitness zones (zone 3 and 4) most of your time spent in the lower intensity fitness zone (zone 3). Since you said you wanted to lose some lbs etc this is a good area to be in.

Someone with more knowledge than me (Ive only a very basic understanding from recently reading up on HR training) will probably be able to provide better feedback and suggestions etc.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Rob3rt said:
Its good from where im standing. You spent the majority of your time split between health (zone 1 and 2) and fitness zones (zone 3 and 4) most of your time spent in the lower intensity fitness zone (zone 3). Since you said you wanted to lose some lbs etc this is a good area to be in.

Someone with more knowledge than me (Ive only a very basic understanding from recently reading up on HR training) will probably be able to provide better feedback and suggestions etc.

Much appreciated thanks.

Just had a quick look at the time in zones for the evening ride and noticed that

Zone 1: 0.30

Zone 2: 1.32

Zone 3: 8.57

Zone 4: 24.12

Zone 5: 5.23

So its fair to say I get a nice mix of zones on both commutes, A good reason for higher zones in the evening is apart from one short section im pretty much climbing for 8 miles non stop (New route) and as we all do im sure we want to get home asap so ride faster :becool:

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Had a 20 miles commute yesterday, was in Zone 3 for 40 mins and Zone 4 for 30 mins, My muscles today are SOOOOOO tender, but I dont feel one little bit tired.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
gb155 said:
Had a 20 miles commute yesterday, was in Zone 3 for 40 mins and Zone 4 for 30 mins, My muscles today are SOOOOOO tender, but I dont feel one little bit tired.

Did a "recovery" 13 miles yesterday, dont feel so tender today, was it just down to pushing myself so hard ?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I dont know, just keep at it, a bit of aching and tenderness, as long as it doesnt feel like injury is fine. I've been aching like mad all weekend, not sure if its because of my 1st 50 mile ride, or because of some dude in his tin can knocking me off ;)

Can I enquire, does the Garmin have 5 or 6 HR zones? You only mentioned up to zone 5 in your prev post, I dont know if that means you didnt go into zone 6 at all or if the Garmin doesnt have a zone 6. It doesnt matter all that much, just curious.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Ouch you got knocked off? Hope your ok mate ?

did 20 miles again before work, really really tender to the touch, but walking and cycling (Im sure, not left work yet, but it was on friday) are fine with no pain at all.

well done on your first 50 miler though

Im pretty sure it only has 5 zone, I hit 98% of MHR and was in zone 5.9, so actually that means it has 6 doesnt it ?

Hope that helps

Gaz

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Im totally fine :smile: Driver acknowledged it was his fault, was very apologetic, no injuries that I can tell and bike almost unscathed. Not taking anything any further, everyone makes mistakes.

If its tender to the touch, dont prod :biggrin: Thanks for clarification on zone, doesnt make much difference, its just split things up into less zone, hence each zone covers a larger proportion.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Rob3rt said:
Im totally fine :biggrin: Driver acknowledged it was his fault, was very apologetic, no injuries that I can tell and bike almost unscathed. Not taking anything any further, everyone makes mistakes.

If its tender to the touch, dont prod :biggrin: Thanks for clarification on zone, doesnt make much difference, its just split things up into less zone, hence each zone covers a larger proportion.

Glad all is ok, nice that the driver held his (or her) hands up, as cyclists and motorists we need to exisit together, Im sure you dealing with it how you have will go some way to a little harmoney, all too much after an accident people just want to put the boot into each other.....anways LOLOL

Re Zones:

you have

0.1-0.9
1.1-1.9
2.1-2.9
3.1-3.9
4.1-4.9
5.1-5.9

So on the face of it there are 5, but if you count the whole range there is 6, I love my Garmin :smile:

jimboalee

Had a look in the Garmin 705 manual.

Page 35.
"Heart rate zones".

You can have them 'Based on Max' or 'Custom' ????

'Based on Max', the manual says;-

Zone 1, 50% - 60%
Zone 2, 60% - 70%
Zone 3, 70% - 80%
Zone 4, 80% - 90%
Zone 5, 90% - 100%

It doesn't say much about 'Custom' so I guess this is 'User definable'; and you can enter what HR values you want for each zone.

redddraggon

Blondie
jimboalee said:
Had a look in the Garmin 705 manual.

Page 35.
"Heart rate zones".

You can have them 'Based on Max' or 'Custom' ????

'Based on Max', the manual says;-

Zone 1, 50% - 60%
Zone 2, 60% - 70%
Zone 3, 70% - 80%
Zone 4, 80% - 90%
Zone 5, 90% - 100%

It doesn't say much about 'Custom' so I guess this is 'User definable'; and you can enter what HR values you want for each zone.

Custom is so that you can use the karvonen formula if you want.

Top Bottom