Garmin edge help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks Buddy,

Any idea if GPX presents itself differently to TCX? You can follow a route on TCX but the turns are not that clear, I end up passing them too blinkin often
wacko.gif
Any ideas if the GPX give more indication? Maybe I'm on the wrong setting?

I think gpx takes up more processing power, as with them the gps unit calculates in advance when it predicts that you need to know to turn, whereas the tcx is just a data file which it just relays back to you at the moment you come to a junction and is often too late.

sbseven

I think gpx takes up more processing power, as with them the gps unit calculates in advance when it predicts that you need to know to turn, whereas the tcx is just a data file which it just relays back to you at the moment you come to a junction and is often too late.
If you want to use TCX and want turn prompts that appear BEFORE the junction, try BikeHike.

Do this:

1. Under Options, set "Coursepoint Mode" to Automatic.
  2. Draw your route. BikeHike will add turn indicators (as coursepoints) at the road junctions.
  3. When you come to download the route, set "Coursepoint warning distance" to something like 150m/500ft. BikeHike will move all the coursepoints back 150m/500ft from the junctions. This means that on the road the GPS will now beep conveniently as you approach the junction.
Notes:

1. Bikehike's insertion of turn indicators isn't always perfect, so it's worth checking that all turn indicator coursepoints are present and correct on the map before downloading.
  2. You can add extra coursepoints manually (via the "Add POI/Coursepoint" option).
  3. You can remove any superfluous coursepoints (I tend to remove the "straight on" coursepoints) by clicking on them individually while in "Add POI/Coursepoint" mode.
  4. On a 605/705 at least, a TCX route can only contain a maximum of 100 coursepoints.

If you want to use TCX and want turn prompts that appear BEFORE the junction, try BikeHike.

Do this:

1. Under Options, set "Coursepoint Mode" to Automatic.
  2. Draw your route. BikeHike will add turn indicators (as coursepoints) at the road junctions.
  3. When you come to download the route, set "Coursepoint warning distance" to something like 150m/500ft. BikeHike will move all the coursepoints back 150m/500ft from the junctions. This means that on the road the GPS will now beep conveniently as you approach the junction.
Notes:

1. Bikehike's insertion of turn indicators isn't always perfect, so it's worth checking that all turn indicator coursepoints are present and correct on the map before downloading.
  2. You can add extra coursepoints manually (via the "Add POI/Coursepoint" option).
  3. You can remove any superfluous coursepoints (I tend to remove the "straight on" coursepoints) by clicking on them individually while in "Add POI/Coursepoint" mode.
  4. On a 605/705 at least, a TCX route can only contain a maximum of 100 coursepoints.
Just had a quick go of bikehike, thanks :smile: Its sketchy with coursepoints compared to RWGPS but its very easy to add them but that beeping in advance sounds good :-) its just a pity you can't save bikehike routes on line anymore.

sbseven

Just had a quick go of bikehike, thanks :smile: Its sketchy with coursepoints compared to RWGPS but its very easy to add them but that beeping in advance sounds good :-) its just a pity you can't save bikehike routes on line anymore.
You could just create the route in RWGPS, download the TCX from there and then upload it to BikeHike (tick the Upload Coursepoints option) and then immediately download from BikeHike, setting the "Coursepoint warning distance". This will move the RWGPS created coursepoints backwards and achieve the same result.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
... When you come to download the route, set "Coursepoint warning distance" to something like 150m/500ft. BikeHike will move all the coursepoints back 150m/500ft from the junctions. This means that on the road the GPS will now beep conveniently as you approach the junction.

Thanks! Followed the instructions, downloaded the file and ready to try it on the road.. cheers

Top Bottom