Garmin edge help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

old-biddy

My first post here as I am fairly new to the whole cycling thing and will have loads of questions.

My first problem lies with my garmin edge 705. I have been merrily using it for a few months. I use bike route toaster to draw my route then download it to garmin unit as a gpx file whereby it gives me turn by turn instructions which i like

When I recently did 2 routes in BKT after i downloaded them I couldn't use them as it came with an error message -something like =exceeded number of trackponits- I deleted some old routes I had but this doesn't help.

So guess my first question is a two parter. CanI use TCX files in the same way to give me turn instructions and how do I make my gpx routes to have less than 100 trackpoints?

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Hiya,

When i have this problem, I use http://www.gpsies.com/home.do to convert it into a tcx file and then back into a GPX file and this seems to work.

I use ridewithGPS as it creates create tcx files which have turn by turn instructions. It also has the option of making gpx routes which have less than the 100 trackpoints but I prefer the tcx files now. With the older 305 you need to however, go through the palaver of importing them to Garmin Training Centre and syncing them to the unit; I believe with the 705 you can transfer them straight to the unit.

zoxed

Über Member
...how do I make my gpx routes to have less than 100 trackpoints?

Ideally the program you are planning with should handle this. I use http://www.qlandkarte.org/ and I *think* they just introduced a configuration item to set this, but I have not tried this.
On Linux I use http://www.gpsbabel.org/ to connect to my Garmin 305, and this also has a "simplify" function where you can give it the maximum number of points (gpsbabel -r -i gpx -f $FILE -x simplify,count=100 -o garmin -F $DEVICE).
I see that GPSBabel now have a Windows GUI available, but I have not tried it.

OP
OP
O

old-biddy

thanks all for the replies. I will have a look at those sites mentioned and have a play around

so If I have this correct- there are ways that I can create a tcx file which will give me the turn by turn indications that I have with my gpx files? There are also programmes which will make my routes have less than the allowed 100 trackpoints?

so is there any difference between a gpx route and a tcx course? or do they both do the same thing?

i am getting there. But slowly!

Bman

Guru
Ideally the program you are planning with should handle this. I use http://www.qlandkarte.org/ and I *think* they just introduced a configuration item to set this, but I have not tried this.
On Linux I use http://www.gpsbabel.org/ to connect to my Garmin 305, and this also has a "simplify" function where you can give it the maximum number of points (gpsbabel -r -i gpx -f $FILE -x simplify,count=100 -o garmin -F $DEVICE).
I see that GPSBabel now have a Windows GUI available, but I have not tried it.

This is what I use. works just fine for my edge 305

thanks all for the replies. I will have a look at those sites mentioned and have a play around

so If I have this correct- there are ways that I can create a tcx file which will give me the turn by turn indications that I have with my gpx files? There are also programmes which will make my routes have less than the allowed 100 trackpoints?

so is there any difference between a gpx route and a tcx course? or do they both do the same thing?

i am getting there. But slowly!

RidewithGPS can create all types of GPS files: tcx breadcrumb tracks (with turn indicator), detailed gpx files (all though they may to big for the garmin to handle) and the simplified gpx files (which the garmin can handle.

I think the Garmin reads the gpx files more intelligently and it predicts how far you need them before a turn based on your current speed but unfortunately the garmin is limited as to processing and sets that 100 waypoint limit.
Tcx's are just data files so there's less reading ahead/ processing so the limit to them is greater but the garmin just reads them out as you get to them, often you are at, or through a junction, before you get the turn left (or relevant) direction command.
The older 305 doesn't have a base map so I prefer the breadcrumb tcx file.

IHTH :smile:

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
RidewithGPS can create all types of GPS files: tcx breadcrumb tracks (with turn indicator), detailed gpx files (all though they may to big for the garmin to handle) and the simplified gpx files (which the garmin can handle.

I think the Garmin reads the gpx files more intelligently and it predicts how far you need them before a turn based on your current speed but unfortunately the garmin is limited as to processing and sets that 100 waypoint limit.
Tcx's are just data files so there's less reading ahead/ processing so the limit to them is greater but the garmin just reads them out as you get to them, often you are at, or through a junction, before you get the turn left (or relevant) direction command.
The older 305 doesn't have a base map so I prefer the breadcrumb tcx file.

IHTH :smile:

I have tried saving on my 705 as a GPX but only the TCX seem to be saving! Slightly confused but interested if anyone has a few pointers for this technical half whit
blush.gif

I have tried saving on my 705 as a GPX but only the TCX seem to be saving! Slightly confused but interested if anyone has a few pointers for this technical half whit
blush.gif

My brother has the 605 (I think its the same operating system as the 705) he says he just downloads the gpx, connects the garmin and transfer the file by usb. With my older Garmin 305, I need to import the file into something like Memory Map and send via the USB to the unit.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
I use tcx files on my edge 500 firmware 2.8 and they work fine (however I haven't tried more than 100 trackpoints) the only problem is the turns notifications happen after I turn right/left.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
My brother has the 605 (I think its the same operating system as the 705) he says he just downloads the gpx, connects the garmin and transfer the file by usb. With my older Garmin 305, I need to import the file into something like Memory Map and send via the USB to the unit.

Thanks Buddy,

Any idea if GPX presents itself differently to TCX? You can follow a route on TCX but the turns are not that clear, I end up passing them too blinkin often
wacko.gif
Any ideas if the GPX give more indication? Maybe I'm on the wrong setting?

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I use tcx files on my edge 500 firmware 2.8 and they work fine (however I haven't tried more than 100 trackpoints) the only problem is the turns notifications happen after I turn right/left.

Same here really. All routes on the 405 give immediate indication when you take a wrong turn butt I'm new to the 705 and it's definitely confused.com
blush.gif

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i use bikehike with my edge500, bikehike has the option of not downloading trackpoints. if i want trackpoints then i split the ride into 40mile chunks.

Top Bottom