Garmin Edge routing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

I'm totally bewildered.

No matter what routes I load onto this Garmin, every time I go 'Where To?', 'Saved Rides'; it always suggests I should go to Reading, but never comes up with a route there.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

NO joke this time

I have downloaded and installed the latest firmware version onto my Edge 605.

I have a lot of avoidances set on my maps to keep me off the motorways but allow me along what Garmin call 'Highways'.

Using the new firmware, the avoidances are active when I use a 'Saved Ride' BUT NOT when I navigate independently to a chosen Waypoint.

BTW, I use 'Car/Motorcycle' as Vehicle type, because 'Bicycle' plots some strange long around-the-houses routes ( totally useless IMHO ).

Any else experience this?

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Sorry to say I'm the same. Works great with preplanned courses but it's utterly naff when it comes to using it as an on-the-fly routing aid. Generally just use the compass feature when it comes down to finding my way.

The other thing I dislike is the turn warnings at the junction, it'd be handier if it actually told you before you get there. :?

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

I have an RAC Car Satnav.

I went out on my bike the week before last with the RAC Satnav on a PowerMonkey, in a plastic bag on a lanyard round my neck tucked in my jersey.

I could hear the lady's voice quite clearly and didn't make any wrong turns.

I adjusted it to 'Car Shortest' and NO motorways.

The combined battery life gave me well over the duration of an Audax 100.

Got some strange looks as I rode past Birmingham's open air market :tongue:

I have a 100 Audax looming. I will be the one who shouts instructions with a North American female voice.

amaferanga

Veteran
But if you load the route for the audax into your Edge and don't allow it to recalculate then it'll work. It sounds like you haven't quite got the hang of using it yet.

If you just input a destination on the Edge itself and let it work out the route for you then it probably won't work too well as others have said.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

amaferanga said:
But if you load the route for the audax into your Edge and don't allow it to recalculate then it'll work. It sounds like you haven't quite got the hang of using it yet.

If you just input a destination on the Edge itself and let it work out the route for you then it probably won't work too well as others have said.

I know perfectly well how to use a Garmin.

Francis Cooke of AUK fame and I had e-mail rapport on how to get through an Audax using Metroguide Europe WITHOUT auto-routeing using 'Off road' stringers between viapoints.
Francis put the viapoints ON the junction. I put the viapoint 20 yds down the correct road after the junction so the display didn't disapear off the screen when the cursor crossed the viapoint at the junction.

Those were the days. When Garmins only had 24 meg memory and you couldn't get enough Topo GB maps on the thing to cover a 200km Audax.

My second post was to queery Garmin's latest Firmware and ask if anyone else has noticed what I've encountered.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

IIRC, my first Audax with a Garmin was the 2005? Castleton Classic ( will have to check that).

In Buxton, there was an island between tall buildings and a railbridge. I had the viapoint on the ENTRANCE to the island. When the cursor hit the Viapoint, the screen went blank for nearly four seconds. Long enough for me to NOT see which exit I should take. I rode round the island until the screen came back. Then, as I passed over the Viapoint again, the screen went blank again.

I got off and walked the bike round the footpath until I sussed the correct exit.

It was then when I had the brainwave to put the Viapoint up the exit road so I could see the road layout and where the stringer went throughout my traversing the junction

Subsequent Audaxes were less confusing.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

In 'Normal' use, there are 20 routes on my Garmin and 60 or so Waypoints.
The 20 routes are the AUK Midland Mesh strings around where I live.

I only load 60 maps when I'm close to home. I load the maps of other places before I go. eg Cornwall.

For 'on the fly' routing;
I have put 'Avoids' on motorway ramps so I can use 'Car/Motorcycle' and untoggle 'Avoid Highways'. This worked fine until I downloaded Garmin's latest firmware. This set-up gave me close to the 'shortest' route, not the stupid routes when the thing is set to 'Bicycle'.

I only load a limited number of maps because I'm setting avoids on other roads when I encounter a 'bicycle unfriendly' place.

It takes about nine minutes to load 60 maps. Haven't got a clue how much of the afternoon it takes to load the whole of GB with Avoids set on EVERY motorway ramp.

Top Bottom