Garmin edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim_Noir

Looking to buy a new cycle computer, the one I use (Tescos own) is ok, but I can't use my times HRM with it as it send the speedo nuts and discovred this morn if my front light is on strobe this also send it nuts! So I want to get something that will tell me speed, distance and HR. Been looking at the edge 305 and the 705, I think the 705 is nice and all but has is too much for what I need (as I don't really need sat nav as I could use my PDA for this). So who uses what and how do you find it?

Ant

I use a Garmin 205, which is identical to the 305 but without the HRM and cadence option...which I'm not really interested in.

I've been using it for about a year and a half and I love it. I think that one of the first things that impressed me was the ability to fully customise the display, so you can decide exactly what you want to see and where. I've had no issues with mine whatsoever (touch wood) and the only thing that irritates me slightly is that I frequently have to stand around for 5mins before a ride in order to allow it to pickup a satellite signal.

zacklaws

Guru
I use a 305 and find it brilliant, and without doubt the 705 would be even better but out of my price range along with the additional maps you would have to buy.

The main reason I use the 305 is for its navigational feature, without it I would be lost even on my own patch in country lanes (as I have found out) I did not know existed and no need to try and memorise long routes. As for reading the numerical displays on the edge I find them difficult at times due to my poor close range vision, but I back the Edge up with a VDO cycle computer which I can read speed displays etc more clearly.

I also find it usefull to be able to download all my info of a ride onto the computer into two different programs and then I can compare my fitness progress as it happens. Also the virtual opponent if its set up correctly on a ride you have previously ridden can be tough to beat sometimes and to be beat by only feet over a 100+ ride can be demoralising but fires up the enthusiasm to get back out again to beat it.

I could probably say that cycling would not be cycling for me without my 305 as it does so much for me.

yello

I've got an Edge 305 and have posted my opinion before on this forum so forgive me if I don't repeat it. In short, I think it's a brilliant bit of kit and has changed the way I ride.

Some club mates, despite being sniffy at first (and I still get some stick for it!), have had occasion to be thankful too. As we slow to stop, yet again, to get the map out, I get asked 'which direction?'.

medication25

i have the 705 and i love the thing.. but if price is an issue then you will love the 305, you wont get any interference issues as you currently have.

BUY IT! you will thank me later.

OP
OP
Jim_Noir

Jim_Noir

How does the navigation work? Is it a map or just waypoint that tells you to turn etc? I use my PDA with my tomtom bluetooth and mini maps for walking in the hills, this is nice thing to have I suppose but by no means something I need. HR is a must, as is speed and all the other fitness stuff.
I did look at the 705, but I can't see me needing everything it does.

OP
OP
Jim_Noir

Jim_Noir

The 705 I looked at was £410 and the guy said it's got all the maps. Tried to get him to explain what all the maps meant, but I assume he was reading guff from a book.
What is the diffrence, apart from colour screen, between the 305 and the 705?

yello

For the 305, you plot the route first (either on mapping software or the web, e.g. www.mapmyride.com) and then load it to the Edge as a track or course (I use tracks). You then simply follow the 'bread crumbs' display. There's no map as such, or turn indicators... you just simply follow the direction shown on the Edge. I think you can mark turns etc as waypoints, or whatever, but I've never bothered as there's a limit to how many you can store per track and, in all honesty, I've never needed them.

You can have a situation where there might be an intersection where a number of roads go off in similar directions and it's not obvious which one to take but, in practice and ime, it doesn't happen often enough to warrant calling it a problem.

Edit: the 705 is true sat nav as you have it in cars etc. Route planning on the fly. That is, you can key in a post code, say, on the unit and it will direct you there. The 305 knows nothing of maps or roads etc... it simply directs you according to the route you have plotted beforehand and loaded to it.

I bought my 305 before the 705 came out but, even so, I have no need for the extra functionality of the 705 and will happily stay with a 305.

OP
OP
Jim_Noir

Jim_Noir

I don't think I need full sat nav for the bike, I assume the 705 doesn't guide on cycle tracks just roads? If so them could cary my PDA with tomtom and use that if got lost... or ask someone directions! The 305 is sounding more what I need.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've recently started using the 605 and it's great. You'll definitely need one with the road maps like this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Garmin_Edge_705_Road_Performance_Package/5360035897/

The base map doesn't show any of the smaller roads. I had the 605 over the 705 because I don't want powertap facilities, barometric altimeter ( which I've got on a watch and is crap anyway ) or the HRM. I've got a polar for the HRM and distance etc just on the chance the battery drains on the edge on longer rides.

Combined with bikeroutetoaster it's great. I've been along roads I didn't even know were there!! It's also great if you're miles away from home and need a short cut back through the countryside etc.

zacklaws

Guru
>>>>You can have a situation where there might be an intersection where a number of roads go off in similar directions and it's not obvious which one to take but, in practice and time, it doesn't happen often enough to warrant calling it a problem<<<<

I came across this once in a village and dammed if I could find the right road to take,every one I tried was wrong and could not find the one I wanted as I pedalled aimlessly about the village square. I then solved the problem by switching to the compass page and low and behold as I passed an unseen road between house's the needle swung and pointed straight at it.

This now becomes my proven method in area's of uncertainty, just watch the needle swing

Top Bottom