Garmin elevation different to strava ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Hi everyone
So I used my new Garmin Edge for the first time yesterday and when I got home and uploaded my activity to Garmin connect the elevation showed 3,500ft but once the activity shared it showed 4,500ft on strava. Even now when I look on the two different sites, it shows 1000ft difference. Can't understand how because I only recorded from Garmin and surely it should only transfer to strava what data Garmin has......
Anyone else experience this ?

Robeh

yep get the same using my garmin 810..

The basic answer:

Strava corrects the data form the Edge and this causes the difference

The more complex answer:

The Edge series ahas a few issues with altitude

The confounding factor is how the elevation is measured on the unit. This can be from the unit itself (barometer) the information in the GPS Signal or from the map data. Each will be different for different GPS units

The Edge series has a barometer and works on the fact that the barometric pressure changes with height, however it also changes with weather and temperature

Even before taking these into consideration, there is your start height.

Garmin recommends a manual setting of the barometer to a known height for each ride

So the data itself is only accurate to 10 feet at best, and then only if there is no change in weather or temperature. Under these circumstances it can be very inaccurate

Strava recognises this and "corrects" your unit's data accordinglly

The information on the Strava their website is worth reading in full, butthe important poit is:
Strava detects devices with barometric altimeters and recognizes the data from that source. Since elevation data derived from a GPS signal is fairly inaccurate, Strava automatically corrects elevation derived from a GPS source by consulting elevation databases to determine the elevation at each point in the activity.

If you suspect that your elevation data is incorrect, you can request an elevation lookup.* Click on the "Elevation" text under the elevation statistic above the map. The dialogue pops up with a button to "Correct Elevation." This button will only appear for data collected with a Barometric Altimeter, or if a previous automatic elevation correction has failed. After a short while, the "Calculating" text will change to "Updated," and if you click on "Updated" your page will refresh with the new elevation data.

...and for a full discussion on elevation and Sports Devices as a whole see this article on DC Rainmaker

Note: the article is dated and the Edge Touring Plus, 1000, 810, 800 and 510, all also contain a barometer

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Strava processes the data from all devices differently, your average speed will also likely be 1mph slower on strava than recorded on your garmin.

Strava has pages of discussion on there site but still offered no real explanation, just that this is the way it is.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Ah ok. I planned the route on strava and it worked out to be around 4,500ft, so was surprised with what Garmin gave me. I definitely think strava was more accurate considering the ride I did.

bpsmith

Veteran
image.jpg
image.jpg
My Garmin 510 is either uploaded direct from the device, to Garmin and Strava on computer separately, or uploaded via iPhone to Garmin Connect which syncs direct to Strava. I rarely get any difference in speed of any consequence.

These are snaps of today's ride.

bpsmith

Veteran
image.jpg
image.jpg
As far elevation. I do believe that 1,375 feet converts to 419.1 metres. I can live with it being accurate to 10cm. :smile:

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Hell of a lot closer than what I got yesterday. Not sure whether the elevation correction is enabled or not on Garmin connect as @Jason.T mentioned to me yesterday

Top Bottom