Garmin eTrex 10/20/or 30?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Having got to grips with very the basic GPS provided on a Forerunner watch, I'm keen to try out something that can support basic maps and has a long battery life.

The eTrex looks ideal, but the 20 and 30 seem to get worse reviews than the 10, so am tempted to just buy the 10 as it's obviously the cheapest.

Any pointers/opinions?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Can you still pick up the older Etrex Vista HCx cheaply ?

PpPete

Legendary Member
In terms of features, having used both Legend and Vista in the old series, I think I'd go for the 20 in the newer ones.
The 10 lacks colour screen and SD card capability so you can't add maps.
The barometric altimeter and the compass (of the Vista and the 30) are more or less redundant features for regular audaxing, although the altimeter would be useful if you wanted to check a route for total ascent and AAA points
I doubt I would pay for Ordnance Survey mapping though. The simplicity of the free to download OSM comes across better on a small screen IMO.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
10 is scarely better than my forerunner GPS watch. 20 looks to me like best balance of bang for buck but I won't be changing my HCx until next year at the earliest.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Have found an Etrex Vista HCx for the same price as the Etrex 20, decisions, decisions!
now that is either one expensive HCx or one cheap 20. If I was buying from scratch I'd get the 20

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Dakota = Touchscreen
Etrex = Buttons

Touchscreen on a rigid bike mount doesn't work for me. Handheld? For sure, but when it is fixed to my bars I'm a button boy.

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
That's a useful site, thanks :thumbsup:

Is the Dakota series no good. I thought they were better than the Etrex.
The CTC magazine did a comparison between a Dakota and (I think) an eTrex Vista, I can't find it right now but from what I remember they didn't like the touch screen, and the display wasn't as easy to read.

Top Bottom