Garmin eTrex Legend HCx GPS questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just seem to be so very very thick when it comes to grasping the technicalities of these gps systems and what theyre supposed to be able to do for me :blush:

but I think I like the look of the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx ......

however, will I be able to put 'OpenStreetMap' on it (a very nice looking map - how the hell do you download it?) and see a representation of myself on that map heading towards a point ive plotted on the map (which people appear to call a waypoint)? - I can then plot lots of other points and it will guide me on my way telling me when to turn just like a satnav in the car?
I think this is done on computer then tranfered to the unit and is possibly done by dragging the map ive created (like I do on iTunes to put songs in a playlist ive created) or by 'right click' and moving the file to the unit from there?
In my defence, I am reasonably bright at some things - but I (and ive noticed a few others) seem confused by these gps units.

Thanks once more. Neil

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Talkytoaster is the best place to start

PpPete

Legendary Member
Legend HCx....
will I be able to put 'OpenStreetMap' on it (a very nice looking map - how the hell do you download it?)

Yes.
Quite easily done. You need to create a folder on the SD card called garmin, and in that folder you need to put a file called GMAPSUPP.IMG
There are several places you can get that file. Actually you can buy an SD card with it already loaded from Open Cycle Map - but that rather misses the point of OSM in that it is constantly being updated.
I used to use Andy Gates' "Munky" map - but he seems to have stopped updating that, so I'll probably go on to http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
which has the advantage of being ablee to select any "tile" for any part of the world and build your map for you. It's rather clever in that it generates a GMAPSUPP.IMG file and a installer to put a copy into Garmin's Trip & Waypoint Manager software (which you get with the Legend) called Mapsource.

You can create routes in Mapsource on your PC and upload them to your Garmin.... or alternatively something called "tracks" which is not quite the same, but you can do it on nice websites like bikehike.co.uk and upload from there. For a GPS beginner "tracks" are easier to deal with - but lack the "routing" that you get in a car SatNav.

There is a great database of learning materials about GPS (especially Garmin Etrex series - and OSM) here.

OP
OP
Lien Sdrawde

Lien Sdrawde

Über Member
Many thanks so far...

''The other common issue is due to UAC in Vista/Windows 7, see below on how to fix it (you'll need to run the BAT file after disabling UAC)''

Boy oh boy. I'll just search in the cupboard under the stairs but i'm fairly certain there's no BAT file in this house.

I think i'm going to have to buy one and pray my children visit again before christmas to help me set it up.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think i'm going to have to buy one and pray my children visit again before christmas to help me set it up.
Might I advise a word of caution. The etrex legend and vista models are now obsolete, replaced by the etrex 10, 20 and 30 models.

This doesn't yet seem to be being reflected in the prices you can buy them for yet either new old stock or secondhand. Caveat Emptor.

You can buy the maps on SD card (even with an update service if you want) and just plug them in and start cycling. Install some Garmin drivers (next next next finsh type of stuff) and browser plugins (next next finsheh stuff again) on your PC and use something bikehike for route planning and that is a technical as it has to get....

(ps I'm a dleighted Vista HCx user using opencyclemaps with no plans to change/upgrade)

PpPete

Legendary Member
Many thanks so far...

''The other common issue is due to UAC in Vista/Windows 7, see below on how to fix it (you'll need to run the BAT file after disabling UAC)''

Boy oh boy. I'll just search in the cupboard under the stairs but i'm fairly certain there's no BAT file in this house.

Well I've a Garmin Etrex Legend HCX and used it with Windows XP , Vista, and Win 7 - and never had any issues with BAT files or UAC - whatever the hell that is. It used to be a bit tricky to install a new map in Mapsource, but the built-in installers overcome that now...and getting the map on to the SD card in the Garmin itself is simplicity itself.

rb58

Enigma
Might I advise a word of caution. The etrex legend and vista models are now obsolete, replaced by the etrex 10, 20 and 30 models.

This doesn't yet seem to be being reflected in the prices you can buy them for yet either new old stock or secondhand. Caveat Emptor.
Amazon have the eTrex Vista HCx for £130 (was £240). Much cheaper than elsewhere, even eBay. I know this :whistle:......
The thing that put me off the new eTrex 20 and 30 is that there's no facility to turn off 'autorouting'. That may or not be an issue, but I know that autorouting on the Edge series could really mess things if you strayed from your chosen route and had forgotten to turn it off. I know this too :whistle:.... All probably down to user error of course....

I've just spent the last 2 hours trying to familiarise myself with the eTrex. Daunting at first, but I think I'm getting there. I hope.

Cheers
Ross

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I paid £135 for mine, I think, in 2009!

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you are prepared to go for a "refurbished-newly overhauled" one from Handtec... which often means new unit, just the packaging damaged, so shipped in a plain box after checking that its 100% OK then its only £113.88 !

Top Bottom