Garmin for Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a friend due to retire shortly, so I'm looking for advice about a Garmin as a retirement gift.

Our budget will be roughly £250. He is planning to do a bit of cycle touring, in the UK and Europe. I believe this would mainly involve roads, but have an off road element to.

Which Garmin would be best suited to his needs?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Garmin Edge Touring

vickster

Legendary Member
You will get a garmin 810 for that money now ! Best thing ive ever bought
New, including maps?

Angry Blonde

Über Member
New, including maps?

Amazon, garmin 810 £227, maps are free to download off internet, jobs a good'n

Battery life when i done the coast to coast was about 15 hours, less if touve got the brightness right up.

Cheap five pound power bank charges it back up on the move but was never needed

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
What features is your friend likely to want? I use an Etrex 20 as I like the fact it runs on AA batteries (useful when you're camping-touring and don't have access to a power supply for a number of days), and I'm less worried about some of the more training oriented features on the edge series. If I were buying again, the Etrex 30 has a few more features which may be of interest.

OP
OP
addictfreak
What features is your friend likely to want? I use an Etrex 20 as I like the fact it runs on AA batteries (useful when you're camping-touring and don't have access to a power supply for a number of days), and I'm less worried about some of the more training oriented features on the edge series. If I were buying again, the Etrex 30 has a few more features which may be of interest.

Not really sure what he after exactly. We were talking today about what gift he would like and it came up in conversation. He is a bit of a techno phobe, so I guess something simple to use but reliable and accurate.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I have the edge touring.
It's a superb bit of kit and if you don't need the training apps that come with the 800 I'd seriously recommend it.

Battery life is 15 hours plus, and the mapping is excellent. The inbuilt waypoint and point of interest routing are great features for touring ( it will direct you to the nearest garage/cafe from your current position) and it works as a normal satnav so you can type on the fly.

Touch screen is easy to see/use and tbh although there are a couple of "quirks" with some of the auto routing it's a fine piece of kit which I now wouldn't be without

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I use an 'old' Garmin GPS 60 map csx for touring. Does everything you need. Whatever unit you choose the two single most important things are that it works on standard batteries you can get in a petrol station, and it has good sattelite recievers . Forget mobile phone apps and any unit that requires a USB hook up to charge or power supply. They sent always available on a bike tour.

Top Bottom