Garmin Forerunner 305 Wrist-Worn GPS Personal Training Device

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S8961

Über Member
I have realised that I am not cycling within a zone for long enough. I have been looking for a Heart Rate Monitor. Is it worth paying about 110pds (new on ebay) for the Garmin Forerunner 305, including a mount (which I need because i can see a watch when wearing thick winter gloves, etc) ? I am wondering if it is overkill for my needs. I just need to know how long I have been in the zone so I know when to stop. If this device is excessive what is suggested instead. I read the reviews on amazon.co.uk and most were 5* but I am not into competitive sports and I do not run, but I do need to reduce my body fat percentage and reduce my insomnia by more exercise as per:

“By improving a person’s sleep, you can improve their physical and mental health,” Zee said. “Sleep is a barometer of health, like someone’s temperature. It should be the fifth vital sign. If a person says he or she isn’t sleeping well, we know they are more likely to be in poor health with problems managing their hypertension or diabetes.”

The study included 23 sedentary adults, primarily women, 55 and older who had difficulty falling sleep and/or staying asleep and impaired daytime functioning. Women have the highest prevalence of insomnia. After a conditioning period, the aerobic physical activity group exercised for two 20-minute sessions four times per week or one 30-to-40-minute session four times per week, both for 16 weeks. Participants worked at 75 percent of their maximum heart rate on at least two activities including walking or using a stationary bicycle or treadmill....

Exercise improved the participants’ self-reported sleep quality, elevating them from a diagnosis of poor sleeper to good sleeper. They also reported fewer depressive symptoms, more vitality and less daytime sleepiness.

Robin

Only you can really answer if its overkill and if its vfm for you; I don't often use the HRM with my edge 305 but other swear by them, for me the gps stats are more important but at this present moment in time for me, as good as it is I wouldn't desperately go out to buy one.

Jim_Noir

Robin I use the forerunner for running (and the edge for the bike). I say go for it, it's a good wee device, considering you'll pay about 60 quid for a decent HRM these days, and extra 40 quid (plus the bike kit) will get you a decent cycle computer too.

I can confirm I use HRM to train, and I sleep like a baby!

The Jogger

Legendary Member
TThe 305 is excellent for training and uploading stats onto the pc. If you use the log on fetcheveryone to upload to you get all the detail you need.
As for the insomnia , well just look at the time of this post LOL.

Top Bottom