Garmin forward mount question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ooh. I like that. It will tidy up the bars nicely.
I might get one for myself, and no, I'm not worried about swapping the bolts.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Does anyone think unscrewing two safety critical hex bolts to fit something like this is potentially dangerous? Or would you have no problem doing so?:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dymoece-Front-Computer-Garmin-Touring/dp/B07JWBK4TB/ref=mp_s_a_1_16

Failing this I might get one of the out front mounts

I had one on my MTB. No safety issues but the Garmin was a bit loose in the clip and rattled a bit. I only used the camera mount once and have since replaced it with a cheap plastic bar mount. No more rattles.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Those two screws would replace the two bottom stem bolts, but introduce an aluminium 'spacer' effectively, in between the bolt head and the stem plate. There are two reasons I would agree with the OP that there is increased hazard and risk:
1) The bolts are more likely to loosen, because the interface between the stem plate and the bolt head has been distanced by an aluminium 'washer' which will flex with load (go-pro and Garmin);
2) You cannot know that the provided (longer) replacement bolts are of the correct steel spec (single source China company/shop through Amazon).
Risk mitigation: threadlock a 'must' and periodic check of all 4 bolt tightness.

OP
OP
I

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Those two screws would replace the two bottom stem bolts, but introduce an aluminium 'spacer' effectively, in between the bolt head and the stem plate. There are two reasons I would agree with the OP that there is increased hazard and risk:
1) The bolts are more likely to loosen, because the interface between the stem plate and the bolt head has been distanced by an aluminium 'washer' which will flex with load (go-pro and Garmin);
2) You cannot know that the provided (longer) replacement bolts are of the correct steel spec (single source China company/shop through Amazon).
Risk mitigation: threadlock a 'must' and periodic check of all 4 bolt tightness.

Good shout on threadlock given the possibility for movement

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Does anyone think unscrewing two safety critical hex bolts to fit something like this is potentially dangerous? Or would you have no problem doing so?:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dymoece-Front-Computer-Garmin-Touring/dp/B07JWBK4TB/re

Been using them for years with no problems.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not a problem for a conscientious rider that does their pre ride checks.

2) You cannot know that the provided (longer) replacement bolts are of the correct steel spec...
That would concern me more. Sure, you could source some suitable replacements, but thats another couple of quid on top of the price withch makes it an expensive alternative to a regular out front mount, with little practical benefit.

Top Bottom