garmin gps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I've not long bought one, the Garmin Vista Hcx as recommended by Ben Lovejoy on here.

It seems pretty good, if not very complex.

Mind you, I'm not sure I believe the accuracy figures it gives out. On a walk on Sunday that I'd downloaded to it the path was showing as being a fair way to the left of where it actually was.
Still, once I've got used to it I'm sure it'll be great,

zacklaws

Guru
I bought the Garmin Edge 305 for my new bike about a fortnight ago and I am very impressed with it and it has revolutionised my cycling. I now have the confidence to cycle in area's on long routes that I have never been before and not have to try and memerise, apart from basic details, my route or print a simple map out. The software that comes with it is very basic but at least you can upgrade the maps especcially with the Garmin Topo UK map to see your route's better. There is plenty more sites though on the net to programme routes to download to the Edge. Also being able to download all your post ride statistics, onto the PC is very usefull.

I could never venture forth now without it mounted on my handlebars.

yello

zacklaws said:
I could never venture forth now without it mounted on my handlebars.

Agreed. A crackin' bit of kit.

It's not a full on GPS though. Not as many people consider it anyway, in that it doesn't do route planning. That's not a criticism btw, personally I don't need that functionality on the unit. Being able to plot and follow a route is sufficient for me.

It is funny though when people assume that it route plots. It's been the source of a few gags on club runs when the others just assume it's telling me which way we need to go, as if it's some kind of mind reader too!

yello

jimboalee said:
is where you should be , not here.

There's very useful info on that link but do feel free to ask here too! :girl: Many a garmin user here. Just as bigtallfatbloke!

Mr Creosote

"Does anyone use them are they good ?"

Yes, I have used various GPS devices including during the time when the USA deliberatley degrading the signal with their Selective Availability which they have now switched off.

"Mind you, I'm not sure I believe the accuracy figures it gives out. On a walk on Sunday that I'd downloaded to it the path was showing as being a fair way to the left of where it actually was."

They are accurate but the accuracy can be affected by the surroundings. It should also be noted that some OS maps aren't as accurate as they could be or the route of a path has been changed and the map not updated.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mr Creosote said:
It should also be noted that some OS maps aren't as accurate as they could be or the route of a path has been changed and the map not updated.
There's a good example of that on The Long Causeway between Hebden Bridge and Burnley. There is a big kink in the road near the windfarm up there and my Etrex GPS tracklog always shows the road to actually be about 75 metres from where it is shown on the OS landranger map. I've viewed it on Google Earth and it is spot-on, so the GPS is telling the truth and the map is wrong.

a_n_t

yello said:
Agreed. A crackin' bit of kit.

It's not a full on GPS though. Not as many people consider it anyway, in that it doesn't do route planning.

you'll need the 605/705 for that, much more like your car sat-nav except some of the routes leave alot to be desired!!:sad:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Been using a Garmin 305 for more than a year now and I love it. I especially love the data you download on the computer when you've finished your ride as it gives you time, distance, profile, pulse, max and average HR, min-max and average speed, fastest mile/kilometer, alsorts. I love it, personally.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've got a 705 and they're a very good bit of kit, although much of the power is hidden behind a fairly clunky and quirky interface, an awful manual and some tricksey map licencing. If you get one, be prepared to spend the time with it and read the forums.

jimboalee

When I bought my Legend C, before Cx was launched, I thought I'd bought a pup.
I was working in Coventry and the easiest route was straight along the A45 from the NEC. At a point, and it was the same point every day, the Garmin stopped painting the screen. It just blanked.
I thought it was a time thing, but when I rode Audax it was OK.
Using the Garmin to navigate Audax was a revelation.

There must have been something big and metalic buried beneath the Meriden By-pass. Maybe its a hidden stash of Triumph Bonnevilles.

I have seen positional errors when riding between tall buildings in the centre of Birmingham. I accept that is predictable.
Otherwise, it has been excellent.
Only one criticism, the rubber bumper band expands and needs to be replaced using strong double-sided tape.
This unit is working as I expect, so I'm reluctant to upgrade right now. Unless anyone's in the market for a 'used' Garmin eTrex Legend C; plus Metroguide.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
jimboalee said:
When I bought my Legend C, before Cx was launched, I thought I'd bought a pup.
I was working in Coventry and the easiest route was straight along the A45 from the NEC. At a point, and it was the same point every day, the Garmin stopped painting the screen. It just blanked.
Perhaps it was interference from radar at the airport?

Top Bottom