Garmin Newbie requires help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
after a bit of help please. I had an Edge Touring delivered on Friday evening and haven't tinkered much with the settings. I went out for a ride with the club using a map they produced on RideWithGPS. I down loaded the TCX file as it said that was the best option and it was very accurate given the factory settings. now the questions:

1) I used "navigate to start point" but it didn't start recording until I got to the start, how do I make sure it records?
2) Is the TCX file the best to use since I only have the Garmin stock maps?
3) Are the free maps from DCRainmaker better or more detailed than the stock maps?

thanks in advance

MikeW-71

Veteran
Quite happy with mine. :smile:

Turn off "redirection" in the settings as sometimes it goes crazy when you go off-route, tries to re-route to get you back on it and then forgets the route completely.

TCX is the best to use as it will then give text alerts and turn-by-turn directions as well as showing the line on the map.

I don't ask it to navigate me anywhere, I just use pre-loaded routes. It will start recording when you press the "go" button (right one) and you can then select the course at any time after that.

I like the way mine beeped randomly, it stopped me from falling asleep, on the quiet bits of the ride. It's okay though, it normally switched itself off, as soon as I actually needed it. It 'accidentally' got itself thrown in a lake, last weekend:smile:.

Top Bottom