Garmin (or other) - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
OK, where are those smelling salts, again....
My and the Edge 705 generally get on OK. I think it's fair to say that all these devices, Garmins or their rivals, have their own sets of quirks, and it's a case of working with/around/accepting those quirks. Or chucking the thing away and getting something else....
If you go for an Edge (800s are the only ones available 'new' but there are still 705s widely available) battery life is not that much of an issue. If you're doing a long ride, particularly if you've got a full turn-by-turn route, using the backlight etc, you'll work the battery harder, but it'll run nicely off external power. I use a USB power supply that takes 2 AA batteries, and that will last all day even with intensive use. Did an audax last Sunday, with the aid of the extra, battery lasted 14 hours (including to and from start/finish), despite having full turn-by-turn nav, backlight on, etc. Bikehike.co.uk is my route builder of choice, I like the way it works (automatic creation of course points, and manual deletion/editing of points if you want as well), and for the 705 (don't know if the restrictions still apply for the 800) it has the strong advatage of allowing you to download routes in .GPXX format (which allows you to have turn-by-turn directions and more than 100 waypoints- big advantage on audax-length rides).
Bear in mind that any errors you make in routing will not be corrected (I still make them, eg on that audax...ho hum), and if you and the GPS disagree, if in doubt follow your instinct/road signs rather than the device. Last Sunday the Garmin kept telling me to make a non-existant turn at one point.....

Jmenorton

I use a USB power supply that takes 2 AA batteries, and that will last all day even with intensive use.
Where did you get this from? Seen a couple around, but a lot of them dont seem to get very good reviews. Also would 2 AA battery charge the Edge back to 100%?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Where did you get this from? Seen a couple around, but a lot of them dont seem to get very good reviews. Also would 2 AA battery charge the Edge back to 100%?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PortaPow-...y_Chargers&hash=item33603f2b78#ht_4595wt_1114 They also have their own web site, deals available vary between the two.
As for charge capability- as with all batteries, it varies a lot & will depend on how much work you've been giving the internal one on the Edge. I use 2700 mAh rechargeables- with light use of the Garmin, I think you'd get a full charge out of it. I did a run to Wantage last year, switched the Edge off when I parked at half-way and the battery indicator went green pretty much instantaneously. But that was without backlighting, running a course but not flicking back and forth between menus etc too much, and so on. On the audax the other week, I did all that stuff, and there was still juice left in the Edge battery, just about. I pulled out the USB plug at the finish and immediately got the low battery warning, the indicator wasn't red it was empty...but there was still life in the AAs. In heavier use, you'll drain the internal battery harder than the AAs can replenish it. Portapow are now doing a 3xAA version for which they claim double the performance.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I can back Greg up on this. However, that is the only time it has happened to me.

I use a Vista HCx (with Garmin map on the device and OSM on the PC) and the Arallsop method of building routes and tracks (demonstrated here)
Decided to have a look at Andy's method as it may be quicker than mine.
I'm struggling to find the "route converter" program he talks about at 03:15 on the video. Any guidance?

I got the bryton 50 recently, which comes pre-loaded with HD maps of all of Europe - before heading for nothern Spain for a few weeks camping I was able to plot every route for my daily trips out and see what kind of climbs I was going to negotiate, and know i'd be able to get back to base - or just set off to the middle of nowhere, and ask it to direct me back to base. It knew of every road, path, bridleway, cafe / pub I came accross.
Suited me to a tee / tea / T.

zigzag

Veteran
my "serious" cycling started when i bought gps unit - up until then i just didn't know how to get to/from places. glad to see delzeqq is stepping up to the next level :hello:(xxi century after all). my suggestion would be a garmin unit that can take aa batteries, e.g. legend hcx, vista hcx, etrex 20, 30.. there are free maps online, but i trust garmin's maps, even if they cost extra.
it might look like a steep learning curve initially, but i'm sure you'd figure out how to use one for cycling pretty quick.

Thank you Scooch and GregCollins both for those links. Though had found the opencyclrmap shop some time ago but couldn't quite see how to download and save on to a data CD then tranfer on to the microSD card On opening the battery compartment I found that there is a 64mb micro SD card in there! but how can I tell what data if any on that card? Though there is a base map on the device already as it shows up with a rough location of my whereabouts near to the Bristol Channel.
As all I want it to do is just show me major and more effectively minor road so I can avoid the major roads and still get to the destination of my choice Open cycle maps or a OSM 1" to one mile style would be better.
Regards Antnee

On opening the battery compartment I found that there is a 64mb micro SD card in there! but how can I tell what data if any on that card? Though there is a base map on the device already as it shows up with a rough location of my whereabouts near to the Bristol Channel.
A/quote]
can I ask which unit this is? Sorry if it's upthread - being lazy.

Hello Its a Garmin Etrex vista HCx. though having just read this page here http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lwg_8.htm screens Iv'e not seen before re the card data information, I did get to the screen that said see this picture, apolgies to Garmin for not asking for permission!
but on trying to get to this screen I was presented with a three choice sub sub menu which would only go to two of the choices the card info screen was skipped over. So I wasn't able to select it. I wonder now is this because of not haviing a big enough card in there in the first place as I said previosly that the card loaded is only a 64 mb
Thanks

Attachments

• cardinf.gif
    cardinf.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 42
Top Bottom